X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craft Beer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craft Beer

Recently there has been an explosion in the Craft Beer industry, with craft brewers popping up in droves.

What's your most recent find - and why do you like it?

Me: Final Absolution from Dragonmead (Michigan) - a tasty Belgian style 8.50%. A little hint of banana.

Pipefuzz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My newest finds have been from a newer brewery here in Flint, MI - Tenacity Brewing, and I love their Riverbank Brown and their Milk Stout. Riverbank Brown is a good, full-flavored, slightly sweet brown ale and their Milk Stout is rich & creamy with a nice coffee undertone.
    "Dance is the only art of which we ourselves are the stuff of which it is made." - Ted Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not new, but one of my tops is Double Stout from Green Flash.

Also a fan of Black Marlin from Ballast Point.

As you can see, I'm a fan of dark beers -- what my Fosters-drinking brother-in-law calls "60 weight" As my pint glass says, fizzy yellow beer is for sissies!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to sydnie7 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydnie7 View Post

As you can see, I'm a fan of dark beers -- what my Fosters-drinking brother-in-law calls "60 weight" As my pint glass says, fizzy yellow beer is for sissies!
    Amen brother...I always say, if you can see through it, it's not beer.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomak For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydnie7 View Post

I prefer darker beers as well here's to gals with good taste in beer!
    "Dance is the only art of which we ourselves are the stuff of which it is made." - Ted Shaw

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to argyle24 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had last night "Tough Love" a barrel aged Imperial Stout 11.5% ABV. from Crux in Bend OR.

I Love "Brother Thelonious" a Belgian Ale 9.4% ABV from North Coast brewing in Fort Bragg CA.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried a bottle last night from a newer microbrewery in town: Category 12 Brewing. The beer was Insubordinate Session IPA. It was citrusy and had just the right amount of hoppyness for me. I like IPAs, but am sometimes put off by the higher alcohol content. This session IPA clocks in at 4.5%.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am truly blessed, living in a corner of SE Pennsylvania where craft brewers and brew-pubs have exploded like spring dandelions over the past few years. There are three brew-pubs within our small town's mailing area, 8-10 reputable brewers with in a half-hour's drive, and probably twice that number should I invest an hour on the road.
    I am a great fan of malts, dark ales, and "heavies." A good stout or porter is hard to find; some local brewers get it and some are still learning...which adds fun to the hunt. There is even recent talk of starting a "beer trail" in our county due to the growing number of craft breweries.

Not all our locals sell in bulk--a couple just opened this year--but many have developed a distribution network. If you're on the east coast of the US, you might keep an eye out for products from Sly Fox, Iron Hill, Victory Brewing, and Appalachian Brewing Co. (ABC).
    You're bound to find something you like.
    "Simplify, and add lightness" -- Colin Chapman

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronCat View Post
    I am truly blessed, living in a corner of SE Pennsylvania where craft brewers and brew-pubs have exploded like spring dandelions over the past few years. There are three brew-pubs within our small town's mailing area, 8-10 reputable brewers with in a half-hour's drive, and probably twice that number should I invest an hour on the road.
    I am a great fan of malts, dark ales, and "heavies." A good stout or porter is hard to find; some local brewers get it and some are still learning...which adds fun to the hunt. There is even recent talk of starting a "beer trail" in our county due to the growing number of craft breweries.

Not all our locals sell in bulk--a couple just opened this year--but many have developed a distribution network. If you're on the east coast of the US, you might keep an eye out for products from Sly Fox, Iron Hill, Victory Brewing, and Appalachian Brewing Co. (ABC).
    You're bound to find something you like.
    Ooh, Victory make some damn fine beers! Dirtwolf, Stormking, and Golden Monkey are my favorites from them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One local pub has I think 52 taps and at least 40 of them are locally sourced (within 300 miles.) So many ales, so little time. The Pacific NW is such a great place for craft and micro brewers.

JMB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast