X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilts on Suddenly Royal TV series

http://www.princeofmann.org

IPad won't let me do a live link (Safari browser crashes when I try). Anyway, the. . Err. . . Gentleman in question wears two different tartans that I saw in the promo teaser.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird! That's my only response to the webpage!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TLC (The Learning Channel) has yet another attempt to "entertain" us with a reality-crap program named "Suddenly Royal".

David Howe (subject of the program) and family are invading the Isle of Mann with a DNA connection as an heir. This American is a near clone of actor John Goodman's role in "King Ralph." This is my review of the show.

I need not comment on the kilt and accessories, (remember Duck Dynasty in Scotland.)

4. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The program will probably appeal to certain audiences just due to it's title " Suddenly Royal " .

I might watch part of it just out of curiosity but I certainly could not take the gent's claim seriously .

There have been over a dozen different individuals throughout history that held the title of " King of Mann " . There have been Manx , Nordic , Scottish and English " Kings of Mann " .

I am curious as to " which King " he claims a DNA connection .... I'm sure there are many people who have DNA connections to the various Kings .

The title " King of Mann " eventually became " Lord of Mann " and later became a title that was part of the British Crown . Currently the title " Lord of Mann " is held by HRH Queen Elizabeth II .

I doubt we will see an episode where he debates his claim with " The Queen " .
    Last edited by MacGumerait; 2nd September 15 at 11:15 PM.
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with MacGumerait, debate the standards of this photo.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 3rd September 15 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This from the website (and hey, it's on the Internet, got to be true and completely accurate -- right?)

". . .in 2008, the news broke that his de jure (by right of law) claim to the ancient throne of the Kingdom of the Isle of Man had officially been gazetted in the London Gazette - The Official Paper of Record owned by the British Crown, his cousin, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. . . .Drew became officially known as HRH Prince David, King of Mann. . . gazetting (official act of publishing royal proclamations by the British Crown) . . ."

He's still a buffoon, from all appearances, although buffoonery sells TV time so I'm sure the editors collected the finest bits for the teaser. Answers the nature v nurture question for me.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this has been done before... many years ago, wasn't there a film called King Ralph (which was pretty dire), subplot being an uneducated, uncouth man suddenly finds himself in line to the British throne, heads to Britain from the US, and the Royal Household have to train him from the ground up...

This is the same TLC that brought us Honey Boo Boo right?

I expect Suddenly Royal to be a cross between King Ralph and I am Cait... so awful you find out if it will get any worse with each episode

I did like the kilt he wore in that clip though
    Last edited by thecompaqguy; 4th September 15 at 08:27 PM.
    Kilted Technician!

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to thecompaqguy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compaqguy, your brilliant, artfully-worded comment about TLC and "Honey Boo Boo" came dangerously close to stimulating a whole mouthful of coffee being blasted on the computer and screen.

'Just had time to jerk head around and get the drapes, instead.

That was observation was priceless. Good on you.

Tho not a TV person, "Suddenly Royal" may get a look. Without coffe near, just to be safe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hood View Post
    Compaqguy, your brilliant, artfully-worded comment about TLC and "Honey Boo Boo" came dangerously close to stimulating a whole mouthful of coffee being blasted on the computer and screen.

'Just had time to jerk head around and get the drapes, instead.

That was observation was priceless. Good on you.

Tho not a TV person, "Suddenly Royal" may get a look. Without coffe near, just to be safe.
    If you had gotten coffee in your keyboard, I could fix that laptop for a fee... as its my line of work

It is comforting to know that TLC treat it's own home market with the same contempt as it's English viewers so no doubt it will be on our screens shortly too... hopefully this won't be as bad as the Jennercide we are subjected to on E! Entertainment thanks to the Kardashians... hmm... prepare to watch this until I see the kilt ensemble or just look on YouTube for them?
    Kilted Technician!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecompaqguy View Post

This is the same TLC that brought us Honey Boo Boo right?

I expect Suddenly Royal to be a cross between King Ralph and I am Cait... so awful you find out if it will get any worse with each episode
    Haaaa ! Thecompaqguy , that is too funny !

Makes one wonder what TLC will do for their next reality show .

Perhaps Caitlyn Jenner claiming a DNA connection to the Dowager Countess of Grantham .

Of course this will be verified by Brian Williams ( former NBC anchor ) as he will claim to have interviewed Lady Grantham back in the day .

Cheers , Mike
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post: