X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different Bison colors hoses?

I'm eyeing a nice brown/beige hoses to match with a brown herringbone tweed waistcoat..

I notice the two different Bison colors for Glenmore and Lewis thru its website and thru amazon. Which one is correct? Is Lewis bison color a wrong color?

http://www.amazon.com/Glenmore-Kilt-...eID=7141123011

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-Large-11...eID=7141123011

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Suggestion from Personal Experience...

My suggestion would be to email or even call Matt Newsome directly, as, if I'm not mistaken, he is the dealer on Amazon for House of Cheviot kilt hose (ie New House Highland). Regardless, he is a North American wholesale dealer for House of Cheviot and will be intimately familiar with the most up-to-date colours, whatever.

From personal experience in both buying HofC hose off of Amazon and owning several of the colours, including the bison, I know that the images are often "off." For instance the "Dark Loden" Lewis hose as shown in the current ad as from the OP link is seriously washed out compared to the actual colour, which is as its name implies, to wit: dark. Sometimes they are the wrong colour all together. It could be of course that HofC have seriously changed the colours but kept the old name, which is why my first recommendation is to contact Matt Newsome (also a member on Xmarks if his lifestyle hasn't changed dramatically in the last couple years or so).

To my eyes - and screen settings- the Glenmore bison looks closest to what I had purchased in that colour with the caveat that my purchase was made some five years ago... I would describe the "bison" colour most accurately as a very warm grey (as opposed to cool grey as in "charcoal" and "mid-grey"), which, in my opinion as a graphic artist, makes it difficult to accurately portray via digital media, as most grey's are in general. It seemed a pretty neutral colour to me, and so lends itself to being adaptable in pairing with many different tartans. I wore it with the very dark "Hunting" MacGregor tartan, with which I was mildly pleased.

Apologies for being a bit wordy, but hope this was helpful.

Cheers,
    Wesley
    Here's tae us, Whas like us... Deil the Yin!

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Deil the Yin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it odd they'd name warm grey hoses Bison.. After all the bison/buffaloes here in the US is brown. Just an odd choice of word!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fashion vs Art...

Quote Originally Posted by Thekiltedmohawk View Post
    I found it odd they'd name warm grey hoses Bison.. After all the bison/buffaloes here in the US is brown. Just an odd choice of word!
    Welcome to the fashion industry...
    Here's tae us, Whas like us... Deil the Yin!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Deil the Yin For This Useful Post: