X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"Manly, Yes, But I like It TOO..."

A delightful new female acquaintance of mine--who was delighted to learn that I wear kilts--especially after seeing a photo to prove it--expressed particular interest in sporrans, or "codpieces", as she unknowingly/slapstickishly referred to them (Really! How's THAT for Freudian Free Association!), which was not a surprise, since previous experience had already informed me that the only thing women find more fascinating than a man's kilt is his sporran (especially if it's made of fur), and so was equally delighted when I presented one to her as a gift, to wit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1442415830454_20150916_094024.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	25773

So if sporrans become the hot, trendy new women's "crossover" fashion accessory on the runways of Milano, Paris, New York, London, etc., blame it on me...
    Last edited by DyerStraits; 17th September 15 at 12:52 AM.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to DyerStraits For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fashion trends begin with free (even Freudian) thinkers. If indeed the world chooses your cross over as the "RAVE", you have it documented here first with me as your first witness. Trademarks, my friend, are precious.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    All fashion trends begin with free (even Freudian) thinkers. If indeed the world chooses your cross over as the "RAVE", you have it documented here first with me as your first witness. Trademarks, my friend, are precious.
    Perhaps I should begin the copyright process right now. What, for example, could be more "fashion forward" than designer-inspired interpretations of what, arguably, are already "exotic" examples of the sporran--(Faux) Fur, Goth/Metal, High Tech (Think: Carbon Fiber, Bamboo, Hemp, etc.), Earth Friendly/Vegan/Found-Recovered/Repurposed Materials, and so on--all coordinated with various other equally progressive (but traditionally referenced) Celtic/Gaelic/Highlandwear-derived upper and/or lower body garments, footwear,headwear, Kilts With Leggings, Cycling-Specific Kilt Jackets (For that Tweed Run), FLY PLAID BOLEROS, etc. IMAGINE The Possibilities!

British Fashion Designers:Get On This!
    Last edited by DyerStraits; 17th September 15 at 02:01 AM.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to DyerStraits For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so long as you don't film a commercial for it like your title reference. "A million dollars for half a minute."

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Andrew Breecher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great gift to get your friend...I love wearing my sporrans with my kilts..My Black, Red & Pink rabbit sporrans are so pretty.. I think it makes the outfit... and it comes in handy for carrying stuff in it.. Hoping kilts become a big fashion statement, even if it doesn't I love all my 11 kilts & counting lol and my sporrans ... They are my wardrobe and I wear my kilts almost every day.... Sporrans are so cool...Angie

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Angela Kaye Bodine For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite sporran is a Drovers Sporran. I have seen examples of this sporran worn in one of the Highland Museums and Photos
    on this forum. As far as I can remember the contributer was Dale Seago, a couple of years ago.
    The Sporran is called a Drover's Sporran. This is a soft leather pouch with a flap cover half way down the front. Draw strings at
    both sides pull the top opening inwards to close the opening. The Sporran has loop strap at the top which slides onto a waist belt.
    The leather is treated to make it look anchient. This bag is like a large cabby's money pouch with the added belt loop.
    The sporran was worn to carry a day's supply of musket balls and food in the form of Porridge Oats. Very useful in the wilds of Southern
    Cornwall. The soft pouch is very comfortable to wear as it rests against the belly and does not bang and flap against the body.
    Simple to machine with no hard re enforcing piping. An ideal form of a simple ladies handbag or Gents bum bag.
    My version was purchased at great cost in Edinburgh due to the treatment of the leather. Just a belly leather bag stitched with an industrial
    sewing machine. A special waist strap was supplied which slotted into itself for adjustment. A simple practical garment accessory.
    Ideal for wear with or without the Kilt. Roderick.