X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PV Kilts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Obviously I can't quote prices for anyone but myself.
    P&P must be a worth a pretty penny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abbreviated quotes with italics mine:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Charles,

A small word of caution about the term "P/V".

P/V stands for Polyester/Viscose. Viscose is the British term for Rayon. So P/V means a fabric which is a blend of Polyester fibers and Rayon fibers.

These fabrics being machine washable, almost wrinkle free and far less expensive than wool quickly found a following in the kilt world.

Please take these advertisements with caution.

The only weaver of kilt quality Tartan fabrics are Marton Mills. The fabric alone will cost right about $100.00 us dollars. If you see a kilt for sale, for less than the cost of real P/V, it is probably Acrylic made in the Middle East somewhere even though it is purchased in Scotland.
    I'd suggest that some of the budget kilts are also P/V or more recently Poly/Acetate. It's not Marton mills quality (as Steve rightly suggests), but it's not acrylic either. They are typically sourced from Pakistan. For a knockaround kilt, they are fine. I have 2 and wear them for yard work, walking the dog, etc, and while I'd prefer a MM P/V, these P/A kilts are great for the $50-70 price point. They have a much tighter weave than acrylic, are machine washable, and look a bit more like wool. I also have a 16oz Locharran wool low-yardage kilt and have owned an acrylic kilt and would suggest that the budget P/A is in the middle from a looks and quality perspective. After getting my two budget P/A kilts, I immediately sold the acrylic based on the fabric "feel".

I'd go low-yardage wool if you need a budget or pub kilt, then a P/V (better) or P/A (not too bad), and suggest passing on acrylic unless it's truly out of your budget for a "poly-something" kilt. A P/V from one of the XMarks vendors such as Freedom Kilts or USA Kilts with Marton Mills fabric is going to be of much better quality than the P/A kilts out there. Of course, the 8 yard 16oz tank is still the best choice if you can afford it...and it's not too warm for where you live.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Tatanista Billie Kilt off eBay. Great postage and quick delivery to Australia. I got my $30AUD worth and I'm ok with that.
    BUT... Their kilts are acrylic and a poor quality acrylic (I was buying at the low price point) the fabric certainly isn't what I would use for everyday knock around wear. You will be lucky to get 3-4 wears & washes before it became a cleaning rag.
    A higher price point, may give a better quality fabric but I would be wary.
    For everyday knock around 'roughing it' wear I suggest a wool blend or go for a drill, cotton blend, etc in a more casual style. (Make an Xkilt)
    Therefore I second and third what the others have said and go mid price point from a reputable dealer. Cheap for 'roughing it' will actually be more expensive.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have contemplated making an Xkilt, nothing like abit of DIY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would highly recommend the "semi-traditional" model from USA Kilts.

High quality Marton Mills PV, well constructed, great kilt for the price. Good for knocking around, but can also be dressed up a bit with no problems!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12