X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt, Sun, Sailing & Dogs

Name:  sailability.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  17.9 KB
    Its beautiful weather down here at the moment. Just right for sailing in a new cammo kilt I made. The dogs wanted to get in the picture! Their official title for attending Sailability is 'therapy dogs' but they are far more interested in pats, walks and food. They have discovered sitting beside a wheelchair looking cute means they get to share lunch.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We often have dogs at out sailing club ranging from half a dozen king Charles spaniels in one 23 gaff rigged keelboat ( yacht with no cabin) to Labradors in many yachts, there is just up river a man who goes out in his Heron Dinghy http://www.heron-dinghy.org.uk/index...nmenu-149.html, all 11ft 3 in of it with a St Bernard sat bolt upright in the middle.!! I've sailed a Lysander http://www.lysander-owners.org.uk/ with either 2 Rough Collies or a Rough Collie and a Border Collie. The Roughs after a look around, just curl up and go to sleep, the Borders always want to know what's going on. Not yet worn my kilt at the same time.
    Most dogs always love a cuddle and food and yours look particularly cuddly.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to picture sailing my old Starboat wearing a kilt....... It would have certainly made for some interesting views for the folks in nearby boats.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried taking my two rescue Boxers out in our Catalina 400 here in the Chesapeake and neither one is overly enthused about it. The kilt on the other hand thoroughly enjoys going sailing. Only take my Amerikilt sailing though as I don't feel bad about getting it muddy from working with the anchor.

Don

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drwill4
    Ooohhh you will be excited by today's pictures (when I get a chance to upload them)
    Rescue dogs, training and sailing!
    Alas the kilt was a denim mini with polka dots and a Hello Kitty Tshirt.... I hope I don't loose my Xmarks membership for crimes against kilts?
    However a great day sailing.

The Q
    I showed your post to the commodore and got a long, long story about Collies sailing. I think I was supposed to ask you a boating question as well? Can't remember.... Lol

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At our sailing club there are 3 border collies who regularly appear, numerous Labradors, the group of king charles, and a scattering of other breeds.
    Sadly the group of collies in the avatar are no longer around, the last two went out on our motor boat but I think the rest would have liked it as a group.
    The boats I sail now are almost always during racing and are too small for racing with collie.
    The only problem we ever had, was with Baron Blue Moon, the collie in the centre of the avatar, he was so devoted to my wife he would always follow her around, fishing 70lbs of collie (dry weight) out of the river when he tried to follow her when she lept ashore mooring up was difficult!!
    We once caused great amusement at the club when we returned from a down river race (race to the pub, have dinner, race back again) on the way back it rained heavily and Odin( collie on left as you view picture) did not want to go inside SWMBO put a bright yellow oilskin on him complete with hat, a soggy collie in a small cabin is no fun! So we went over the finishing line with him sat bolt upright on a seat in the cockpit dressed for sailing.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heron dinghy and Saint Bernard. Now, THAT I'd like to see.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you, Lady Gray; what could be better than kilts, sun and sailing with our canine companions.

Though I have sailed kilted, I don't usually but, my wife and I always sail with our dogs. We used to have Dalmatians (Mollie & Libby) who always preferred the high side of the cockpit when healing. We now sail with our miniature and toy Poodles (Phoebe & Gracie). They love to be on the boat and are much easier to deal with than the larger dogs were, especially getting in and out of the dingy (we use life jackets with handles on them).

Susan and little Gracie (8 months old) on our boat.

Nile
    Last edited by Nile; 12th October 15 at 08:28 PM.
    Simon Fraser fought as MacShimidh, a Highland chief… wrapped and belted in a plaid over the top of his linen shirt, like his ordinary kinsmen. He put a bonnet on his head, and stuck the Fraser emblem, a sprig of yew, in it. With the battle cry, A'Chaisteal Dhunaidh and the scream of the pipes, they charged to battle. "The Last Highlander" Sara Fraser

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nile For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Crimes & Dogs

Nile that picture is beautiful.

so here is my kilt crime
    Name:  K.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  10.4 KB
    My sunhat is looking very Paddington Bearish

The highlight of the day was having the Newfoundland Water Rescue Dogs training at the lake. Charlie was my saviour...
    Name:  charlie.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  11.1 KB
    Name:  T.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  8.7 KB
    Name:  Sailing.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  8.0 KB

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No crime there; you look good and you're having fun.

Looks like you had an intimate view of the dog training.

Nile
    Simon Fraser fought as MacShimidh, a Highland chief… wrapped and belted in a plaid over the top of his linen shirt, like his ordinary kinsmen. He put a bonnet on his head, and stuck the Fraser emblem, a sprig of yew, in it. With the battle cry, A'Chaisteal Dhunaidh and the scream of the pipes, they charged to battle. "The Last Highlander" Sara Fraser

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nile For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast