X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your Halloween plan for your kilt?

Are you going to wear your kilt as part of the Halloween costume for this year? What's your costume idea? Share away!

As for me. I will wear my Glyndwr kilt, a black dress shirt, a black double breasted vest, a wool red tie, a few Gothic rings, a skull knuckle cover ring, black hoses, and some makeup. It's going to be fun!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Thekiltedmohawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Halloween in a kilt

I plan to wear my sportkilt (Douglas tartan), and sporran. I could go a couple different ways, though. I have a bonnet, I could wear, and have my wife sew me a Jacobite shirt (she's a good seamstress). Wear a plastic sword, and pistol (from my pirate days). Or wear a Scotland t-shirt, that I already have, and one of my many flat caps. Not sure yet. I'm building a haunted Scottish castle, for a church "trunk-or-treat" party. Building two castle towers, which will straddle either side of my utility trailer (at the rear). In between, I'm attaching a front wall, and opening (a curtain will hang in it). The rear trailer ramp will be like a drawbridge. Kids can walk up the drawbridge, enter, into my trailer, where I have a coffin, and various ghouls, a strobe light, and spooky sounds. On each castle tower, I'll have a ghoul. One holding bagpipes, the other, a fiddle. I'll have a second radio, with celtic/celtic rock music blasting from it.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Michael Weatherhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slutty highlander

*edit*
    For those not within the USA, and this may very well exist elsewhere, there is a phenomenon that exists during Halloween, that any outfit - uniform - ensemble, however mundane or extravagant, qualifies as a Halloween costume if it is made to appear over the top sexually, or 'slutty'
    Last edited by Profane James; 16th October 15 at 07:31 PM.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

6. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halloween is an interesting thing. I talk to people from all over the world every day at work, and every year as Halloween nears I talk to foreigners who are mystified about it all.

What's odd is how these traditions were brought here from Britain and Ireland but continue to be practiced here while lapsing in their point of origin.

Colonies often give a snapshot of the home country as it was at the time the colony was founded, in accent, dialect, and culture. Obviously Halloween was a bigger thing in early 17th century England (which colonized America) than it was in late 18th century England (which colonized Australia). Australians tell me that it's growing there, one of many American influences they see in their country.

Anyhow sorry to say I don't have any Halloween plans for my kilt. My persona this year, which I've already worn to one Halloween party (we start early here) is Dr Henry Jones. No kilt! Plenty of tweed though.

The English have a different time and place to wear silly costumes: Rugby and Football matches.

Last edited by OC Richard; 17th October 15 at 03:41 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Profane James View Post
    there is a phenomenon that exists during Halloween, that any outfit - uniform - ensemble, however mundane or extravagant, qualifies as a Halloween costume if it is made to appear over the top sexually
    That's an interesting thing, that if you look through a Halloween costume shop men's costumes tend to be silly while women's costumes tend to be sexy.

It's not just Halloween: look over a few dozen FaceBook avatar photos and you'll see that many women have glamour-shots.

For those outwith the USA here's what we're talking about

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/womens-costumes.html

http://www.halloweencostumes.com/mens-costumes.html
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th October 15 at 03:37 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this part of France halloween is celebrated, but its only the kids that dress up, the adults just wear their normal clothes, and the chant by the kids is bonbons!! bonbons!! by the time we get home my daughters are that high on sugar rush its difficult to get them to bed and asleep. Kit

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Finistere For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mundane (and one of my favorites) :

"We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing my kilt to my kilted Halloween wedding.

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to TRWXXA For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a goth kilt which I wore a few times to a Hallowe'en Goth Festival, but now I no longer have it I have no kilt plans for Hallowe'en.
    My tartan kilts are my Scottish Nation's national dress and not fancy dress costume.

18. The Following 15 Users say 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    -----------
    -----------------My tartan kilts are my Scottish Nation's national dress and not fancy dress costume.
    I cannot help but agree. Bravo!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast