X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with tripleblessed. Trust, but verify, and try to find more than one source for the same information.

A cousin of mine (2nd cousin, once removed) published his research and it wound up on Rootsweb/WorldConnect, where I found it. It had been picked up by several others and copied, with a couple of errors. My great-grandfather was shown married to the wrong woman
    (a woman with the same name as his first wife’s maiden name but who died much later*) with no mention of his other two wives. My ggf was widowed three times before his death. His third son was listed as his only son with this other woman.

I contacted this cousin to let him know the errors I found and have since put comments with the correct information on all of the trees when I find them, including the death certificate numbers. Unfortunately, the ‘cat’s out of the bag', so to speak, and the errors continue to be copied.
    I have found recently, though, that my corrections are now also being copied.

I’ve been trying to verify the information published by my cousin, but I currently don’t have the funds to do the necessary travel to the counties of record (nor to pay for confirmed copies – US$10-15 each – of certain documents) to do the research myself.

*That’s another thing to take into account when researching women – after they’re married, most women will be documented (on death certificates in particular) under their spouse’s last name rather than their maiden name.
    John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took up the study when my uncle Cyril became ill and still had not found any male descendants or relatives with his surname. He had spent decades, and even tried a private detective to track down the origins of his father.
    It turned out that the father was a bigamist, had three different middle names, two dates of birth, but his father had two sons with sons.
    Just in time I tracked down two male descendants of the father's brother, living in the USA - by asking the women I found with the father in their family tree.
    I gave the information to my sister, who passed it on to my brother who went and told Uncle Cyril - and two weeks later he died.

There were lots of things to sort out. The records were written in 'secretary hand' and names were often misread when they were typed - the surname Tuvey was rendered variously - Sewery was perhaps the most divergent.

It was an interesting exercise.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123