X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burns or Campbell?

Hello, everyone. I'm new here and I have been wanting to have a kilt made with my family check (Burns). However, I have been told several different stories about which one. On one hand, some say the Burns' are a sept of Campbell and we would wear their tartan and others say Burns is a stand alone clan and there is no historical basis in the connection to the Campbells. I have traced our family lineage back to 1742 here in the States, but before that, everything is sketchy. (Our patriarch was sent here after stealing three brass weights, according to family lore). Any ideas or suggestions?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loxlie View Post
    Hello, everyone. I'm new here and I have been wanting to have a kilt made with my family check (Burns). However, I have been told several different stories about which one. On one hand, some say the Burns' are a sept of Campbell and we would wear their tartan and others say Burns is a stand alone clan and there is no historical basis in the connection to the Campbells. I have traced our family lineage back to 1742 here in the States, but before that, everything is sketchy. (Our patriarch was sent here after stealing three brass weights, according to family lore). Any ideas or suggestions?
    What is your surname?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what the Clan Campbell Society of North America says about Burns:

The inclusion of the name Burns as a sept of the Clan Campbell is based on very thin evidence and can only be classed as a prime example of optimism !
    See Here: http://www.ccsna.org/septs.htm

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    House of Edgar offers a nice Burns tartan in their 13oz. stock fabric.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with the Burns tartan, not the Burns Check. The surname is a Lowland one and there was never a Burns clan.

7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a member of Clan Donald, I would recommend the Burns tartan. Actually I am kidding, but I always put family first.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loxlie View Post
    Hey Loxlie, I am in the same boat. Ancestors are Burns, Gibson on my mother's side and Johnson on my father's. I had been leaning towards the the Burns tartan but as stated they were not a clan.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mdl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    As a member of Clan Donald, I would recommend the Burns tartan. Actually I am kidding, but I always put family first.
    As another member of Clan Donald, I approve this message.

Here in NC, the Donalds and Campbells tease back and forth. Keeps it interesting at the games, but friendly.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to woodysjames For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with the name... Burns tartan is rather good looking and would make a braw kilt. If you have the funds etc., I would go that route. As for the Campbell... I proudly wear that and do appreciate that Campbell/Black Watch is a pretty easy tartan to find.

IW
    Vestis virum reddit