X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suziecooks,

There are usually four things that will effect the amount of fabric needed for a kilt.

1) The hip circumference of the person you are making the kilt for.
    2) The size of the Sett of the Tartan.
    3) If the kilt is to be pleated to Sett or to Stripe.
    And finally if you are making a traditional style kilt or a contemporary style kilt.

For a hip circumference under 45 inches 4 yards will usually do. For hip circumferences between 45" and 50" I would order 4.5 yards. For hip over 50" order 5 yards.

The average Sett size will usually be somewhere around 6.5 to 7.5 inches but it will depend on the Tartan and the weight of the fabric. The Sett size is usually large on the heavier fabrics.

About the Sett vs stripe thing - Yes there is a small difference. In general, pleating to Sett will usually require more fabric. About one extra Sett for every 6 or 8 pleats.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a heads up. Steve is absolutely correct for most mills, because most kilting tartan is sold double width. There are two caveats to buying 4-5 yards for a trad knife-pleated kilt:

1) Some mills weave at least some of their tartans in single width. So, I always specify exactly how much I need (4 yards double width or 8 yards single width). For example, some of House of Edgar's tartans are currently woven only in single width.

2) If you are making a kilt from one of the small number of tartans that is asymmetric, you cannot use a double width piece. You MUST buy a single width piece 8 yards long (or 8.5, or whatever). Every mill I've ever dealt with has been willing to sell me a ripped single width piece of an asymmetric tartan even if the bolt is double width, provided that I ask specifically for that because it is an asymmetric tartan. If you order tartan from a retail outlet, however, you are likely not to be able to request it.

Bottom line, have Steve order your tartan for you, and it will be waiting at KK when you get there. And he can get it cheaper....
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barb is correct. I should have been more specific and said 4.5 yards of double-width or 9 yards of single-width.

As the MacNaughton Tartan was specified I didn't think I needed to mention the asymmetrical thing.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also add that the MacNaughton is one of those tartans with a large sett. At first glance, it looks like the sett is small, but it's actually pretty big. I can't remember what the sett size actually was for the MacNaughton kilt I made awhile back, but I remember that it's BIG. Here's a slide I put together for Kilt Kamp last year:

The simple solution is to pleat to the triple stripe in red, which occurs twice per sett. That way, the relevant repeat is "normal".
    Last edited by Barb T; 6th January 16 at 03:55 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I missed the boat on this one, darn it!
    If a space becomes available for the traditional class with Barb, please put me down. My girls both need new kilts this year, and I would love to attend Kamp again.
    Dianna (Dee)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The official registration thread for Kilt Kamp 2016 is open: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...56#post1311956

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Kilt Kamp 2017 list?

Hello,

Seems wise to plan well in advance for Kilt Kamp.

Presuming there is a Kilt Kamp 2017, how does one get on the list?

Cheers
    Administrator of the Mackay, McCoy, Mcgee etc Y-DNA Surname Project.
    Member of Clan Mackay, USA
    You make your own Myth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    Hello,

Seems wise to plan well in advance for Kilt Kamp.

Presuming there is a Kilt Kamp 2017, how does one get on the list?

Cheers
    Well, you are on the correct side of the continent for Kilt Kamp 2017. They alternate between Victoria, BC and Clinton, New York (upper New York State).
    Typically an announcement is made early in the year, and you then jump into the fray to get your name on the list.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234