X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New and improved Carry-All Sporran - Now made in Scotland

Hi folks I am so excited that it has been hard not to post for the last three days.

On Tuesday we got the first 5 of the new and improved Carry-All Sporrans. Now made in Scotland.

Some of you may remember that the previous Carry-All's were made in Canada and that the maker cancelled our project without notice or explanation.
    Well, as they say, every cloud has a silver lining. What began as a huge disappointment a year ago has resulted in a massively improved product.

You all know that my Carry-All Sporran has been a labor of love project for a number of years. We have sold ever one that has ever been made. It is a sporran designed specifically for how guys wear kilts today.

This new model is essentially the same design with many improvements.

Please note that this is one of five prototypes sent for my review. There are still five small changes I need made before we give the OK for a full production run. These 5 do not have any tassels.

As soon as I opened the box I could tell that this was made to a far higher level of quality.

The leather is heavier but more supple. The stitching is straight, tight and even.

One problem we had with the previous version was a weakness of the stitching in the strap loop on the back, The strap loop is now very secure and triple stitched.

When you load this sporran up you can even undo a snap at the bottom allowing to open even wider without looking like a shopping bag.

In the old version we have a spring clip for your keys. This new one has a small key ring on a snap.

I am able to take my keys out and return them to their secure snap with one hand.

The old version had two pockets inside but they proved to be flimsey and prone to the stitching failing. This new version not only has the two pockets the same size but an added pen slot.
    And the construction of these pockets is bomb proof.

Ok, now for the bad news.
    Being made in Scotland the shipping costs are higher. I'm also having to pay duty when they are imported.
    The labor rate in Scotland is higher and the better quality materials cost more.
    So I'm sorry but the price will have to be higher than before.

Right now I am setting the price of the new and improved, made in Scotland, Freedom Kilts exclusive, Carry-All Sporran @ $198.00cad or $151.50usd at today's exchange rate.

I should be able to announce that we have these ready for sale by the end of November.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

2. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Steve. It looks very well made, and well worth the asking price. I like the expandable gusset feature, simple and effective. Great to see it available again, and improved, no less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Done, Steve!

I've been hoping for these to become available again. Looks like exactly the thing I want for Christmas, I just hope you still have some in stock by the time I can order one!

Mathew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is good news, even if I have one all ready.

Those refinements are good. Mine needs a needle and the fingers of a surgeon to fix the inner pockets stitching before it gets bad, and the strap loop is a suspect to get a failure some day, and what I have been missing is the pen slot... But the sporran has been a real pleasure especially when travelling. The spring clip for the keys has been perfect to secure hostel (or some other temporary needed) keys but needs two hands to operate it. Can't say anything about the new design keyring in this aspect, but the one-hand-use is definitely an upgrade for every day use.

For anyone needing sporran not only for the look but for a practical need I can heartily recommend this.

Just an idea: Would it be possible to arrange that someone ordering it to be delivered to Europe could get it sent directly from Scotland? Thus saving a double crossing of the Pond and customs. The latter if sent to EU customs area.
    If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
    ---
    Ludwig Wittgenstein (26 April 1889 – 29 April 1951)

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Kylahullu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I have a black and brown of the previous model. They are my go to sporrans. With these improvements these new ones are a great value.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very useful design and appearance overall. I do like the snap at the bottom.
    Mark Anthony Henderson
    Virtus et Victoria - Virtue and Victory
    "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacEanruig For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have one of the older ones, which has performed flawlessly for me. Like Mael, it's my go-to sporran for daytime wear. I'm glad they'll be available again.

Holcombe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great news, Steve! And what a coincidence that I PM'd you only about a month ago asking about your carry-all sporrans! What model of phone have you got in the photo? It's just a small factor in my overall desire to have one of your sporrans, and nobody knows what the dimensions of my next phone will be, but starting out I'm curious if my iPhone 6 will fit in the "cell phone" sleeve. Not sure if it's possible to have adjustable compartments... probably not. It looks great, and if YOU'RE impressed with the quality I have no doubt I will be.

Thanks for updating us. This may be my lone Christmas wish list item this year, if the Mrs. will go for it.
    Sláinte from Texas,
    - Minus
    Man · Motorcycle Enthusiast · Musician

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MinusHD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gusset snap is a great idea. It'll surely irk those who preach that there is simply no need to carry more than a single credit card, a few cash notes, driver's license, a loose car key separated from the carrier's usual cluster of keys, (likewise, a loose house key), and nothing more in the thinnest of sporran. ;)
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks great Steve. I will be watching for when you get them in stock.

Mike

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike in Dayton For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast