X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5.11 Tactical Duty Kilt

I first saw the ads for the 5.11 Tactical Duty Kilt after it 1st came out, and it was too late to get in on the original limited time offer.

Well, last week I was happy to see that 5.11 has them available, albeit only in khaki.

Today I received it, and a "tactical sporran" (a $14 admin pouch from Amazon.com) to go with it.

A fun piece of kit that should be a conversation starter at the firing range.

Pics wearing it as soon as I press it a bit, and find suitable shirt, shoes and socks to go with it. Might put some Velcro on the fron apron so I can place a morale patch on it like a kilt pin.

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to TRWXXA For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this, I'm glad to see someone has one... my husband is easing into kilted life and has been looking hard at tactical kilts for casual wear. I'm thinking about getting one of these by 5.11 and surprising him for Christmas. My question is, do you order the same size kilt as you would order in pants? We have worn 5.11 pants a good bit but I was thinking kilts were worn a tad higher than pants, so I was wondering about the sizing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In these TDKs order your guys 5.11 pants size.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tundramanq For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the TDKs come in only one length (24"). So if your man is around 5' 11" or taller, I'd say get one in his pants waist size. The TDKs do run about 1" large in the waist, and that might be to allow for shrinking when washed.

I'm only 5' 9" so I wear the TDK a little higher -- right at my navel. That is the measurement I used.

Going to try and finally get pics of me wearing mine later this week (took a while to find the right socks.) ;D

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TRWXXA For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed some enterprising person has several new TDKs on eBay for $200.
    Pretty hefty markup for a $70 kilt.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Mel1721L is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two, I use them for work, dog walking and around the home, but I don't wear them outside of the resort I live on. I only wear tartan when I'm out and about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRWXXA View Post
    I first saw the ads for the 5.11 Tactical Duty Kilt after it 1st came out, and it was too late to get in on the original limited time offer.

Well, last week I was happy to see that 5.11 has them available, albeit only in khaki.

Today I received it, and a "tactical sporran" (a $14 admin pouch from Amazon.com) to go with it.

A fun piece of kit that should be a conversation starter at the firing range.

Pics wearing it as soon as I press it a bit, and find suitable shirt, shoes and socks to go with it. Might put some Velcro on the fron apron so I can place a morale patch on it like a kilt pin.
    I've got a UT Utility II and wear Cabela's "knee to toe" wader socks. Warm, work great and don't require garters.
    Good looking outfit, I've been thinking about a sporran for that kilt, I'm off to Amazon now. Thanks.
    Slàinte mhath!

Freep is not a slave to fashion.
    Aut pax, aut bellum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freep View Post
    I've got a UT Utility II and wear Cabela's "knee to toe" wader socks. Warm, work great and don't require garters.
    Good looking outfit, I've been thinking about a sporran for that kilt, I'm off to Amazon now. Thanks.
    Had to get creative figuring out how to attach a "sporran strap" to it. Just seemed kind of weak to hook it directly to the MOLLE webbing. So I used some 1" webbing and D-rings I had laying around, and laced that to the webbing with paracord using the same kind of knot used to make survival bracelets. Nice and sturdy.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to TRWXXA For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From here you could use double ended snap hooks directly to the kilt rings. Amazon has them in brass and plated in several lengths:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ded+snap+hooks

Easy on and off.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRWXXA View Post
    Had to get creative figuring out how to attach a "sporran strap" to it. Just seemed kind of weak to hook it directly to the MOLLE webbing. So I used some 1" webbing and D-rings I had laying around, and laced that to the webbing with paracord using the same kind of knot used to make survival bracelets. Nice and sturdy.

Who made that pouch? Lots of 'em on Amazon to wade through and I didn't find it.
    Slàinte mhath!

Freep is not a slave to fashion.
    Aut pax, aut bellum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast