X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll send the request to! �� Kilt the World!
    Keep calm, be the Person

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Vlad For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=thecompaqguy;1304 I just sent a friend request on FB [/QUOTE]

Thank you, request accepted and pm sent.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I'll send the request too! �� Kilt the World!
    Request accepted. Thanks Vlad.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't do Facebook

Every member of my family does, but I don't do it, myself. Back in the old days, we had friends. We visited them. They came to see us. We could rely on each other for help. But what are Facebook "friends," really? People whom we never visit, or visit us. Just some sort of distant pen-pals, really. Also, back when personal computer use was in its infancy, remember all the concern that others would spy on us, hack our computers, and learn too much about us?! (Remember the movie "The Net," with Sandra Bullock). Anyway, what do people do now....put their comings and goings, photos, personal info, on their computers, vacation information, etc, for all to see.

The only thing I like Facebook for, is if I'm looking to buy, sell, or borrow something. We also have several local FB-related buying and selling sites. One is called "24/7 Garage Sale." Another is "Guns, guns, and Ammo." They're helpful.

Xmarksthescot is the only public "social media" site that I'm a member of.
    ARIZONA CELT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weatherhead View Post
    Every member of my family does, but I don't do it, myself. Back in the old days, we had friends. We visited them. They came to see us. We could rely on each other for help. But what are Facebook "friends," really? People whom we never visit, or visit us. Just some sort of distant pen-pals, really.
    I have to credit Facebook with reuniting all 16 cousins from my mother's side of the family. The last time we'd all been together was around 1974, at a family reunion when Uncle John and his family came back from being stationed in Taiwan, and before he was shipping off to Texas. (Both he and Uncle Walter were career Air Force, so they moved around, domestically and internationally, and would be gone for years at a time.)

Anyway, all the families lost touch with one another as we were scattered all over the U.S., save for a few rare individual sightings of one or another over the years. But on Facebook, if you find one cousin, you check their friends list and find another... then another... then another. And then you realize you found them all! So I floated the idea for a big family reunion. It took two years to plan, but finally happened three years ago. All but 2 were able to attend. It was terrific seeing everyone, as the last time we'd all been together, we were all still just kids.

Additionally, FB has helped me reconnect with old childhood friends, and fellow servicemen I'd been stationed with over the years.

Facebook has it's "moments", and it's "characters", certainly (and lots of them.) And I've plenty negative to say about both at times. But its also the best forum out there (until something better comes along) to reunite geographically scattered family and friends.

If your life is wholly contained within a 25 mile circle, then I can agree with Michael. But if it involves folks scattered around the world, don't discount sites like FB for what they can offer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REUNION TSHIRT ART.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	26366

Post Script: If the reunion in Asheville. N.C. had never occurred, I would never have taken the time to drive to Franklin, to the Scottish Tartans Museum, where I'd run into Matt Newsome. So Facebook indirectly introduced me to both the museum, and the man who made my gorgeous 5-yard box-pleat! See what I did there? ;)
    Last edited by unixken; 14th November 15 at 10:09 AM.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to unixken For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mystifying thing about FriendFace is how I can get a Friend Request from somebody that I have 100 mutual friends with, but I have no idea who they are.

Last edited by OC Richard; 21st November 15 at 07:02 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just
    sent a friend request, kilt on.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lady boys is a registered tartan and they probably glummed onto you under the internet word "KILT"
    Humor, is chaos; remembered in tranquillity- James Thurber

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan Tess View Post
    The Lady boys is a registered tartan and they probably glummed onto you under the internet word "KILT"
    That's the Ladyboys of Bangkok IIRC. He mentioned "ladyboys in Peru" and I don't think the LBOB tartan is universal...
    [CENTER][B][COLOR="#0000CD"]PROUD[/COLOR] [COLOR="#FFD700"]YORKSHIRE[/COLOR] [COLOR="#0000CD"]KILTIE[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#0000CD"]Scottish[/COLOR] clans: Fletcher, McGregor and Forbes
    [COLOR="#008000"]Irish[/COLOR] clans: O'Brien, Ryan and many others
    [COLOR="#008000"]Irish[/COLOR]/[COLOR="#FF0000"]Welsh[/COLOR] families: Carey[/B][/CENTER]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12