X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
    Windlass, which was one of the brands that I stocked and sold when I had the business, makes a decent blade but, and I emphasize the but here, they are not in the same class with those made by Albion in the US, Del Tin in Italy, Armour Class in Scotland and even some of the Hanwei swords.
    I've got three of the Armour Class swords, they are outstanding. Handling one after handling one of the decorative swords is like night and day. The Armour Class sword is far lighter and better balanced.

MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
    I've got three of the Armour Class swords, they are outstanding. Handling one after handling one of the decorative swords is like night and day. The Armour Class sword is far lighter and better balanced.
    It is remarkable to compare an Amour Class blade with one by Hanwei or Windlass. You are exactly right about weight and balance. There simply IS no comparison in those two departments. I have had one of the "S" hilts for almost five years now and it is much better than the 7 factory production basket hilts I own and is in the same class as my two custom swords, one of which is my avatar.

I suppose that modern mass-produced swords have to have more mass for liability reasons or to simplify the manufacturing process but with the modern alloys available, one would think that it would be possible to turn out a lighter and more lively blade at a reasonable cost. Oh well.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacRob For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345