X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan or Sept Tartan?

After having identified our clan 'source' I recently discovered that our family name (a sept of the source clan) has had a tartan registered (and is quite a difference from the source clan's tartan - even the primary colors). However, I have not seen a crest, badge of any other device supporting that latter tartan (the family/sept tartan) so I am preferring to use the source tartan rather than the sept tartan. Is there any basis for using the sept's tartan along with the source clan's crest, badge and kilt pin?

And pardon my ignorance, I am still a newbie here.
    Regards,
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what is "proper" but I can tell you what I do. I have a clan name which has a tartan and a crest and it is also a "sept" of a larger, more prominent clan. My choice is to use the clan I can more easily identify with. Frequently you will be asked about your tartan and I would rather say "this is my family tartan and my family name."

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to cck For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a personal choice really, but as the sept tartan is closer to your personal roots and therefore more honest, then I think the sept tartan is the one to go for. Many septs do not have crests and badges and one must remember that crests in Scotland actually belong to individuals and the only way that they can be legally(in Scotland) worn is with the crest being within the the strap(belt) and buckle that one normally sees surrounding the crest of the Clan Chief. Many make the mistake of thinking that the strap and buckle is just some sort of ornamentation put there by the badge maker, it is in fact an important heraldic device and allows the Clansmen to wear their Chief's Crest as a Clan badge legally. By wearing a badge thus, it does in fact show that the wearer shows allegance to his chief. Many are unaware of this fact and some when they find this out, are uncomfortable with this thought.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 26th December 15 at 04:51 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that Jock will gladly offer many sides of an issue to ponder. Just because Laird Mac-Jerk is chief of your clan does not mean you must swear allegance. Others have worn the clan badges of the matriarch side of their families instead and made the choice to associate with that group.

Then there's the moral of the "Ugly Duckling" that still matured into a swan. You will still bear the clan name of your birth and heritage, but can become a better figurehead for history to record than Laird Mac-Jerk.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 26th December 15 at 06:26 AM.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or... you can wear a crest not affiliated with a specific clan or sept, such as the XMTS badge that Steve sells. Scroll down to the third item on this page, to see what the XMTS badge looks like:

http://www.freedomkilts.com/x-marks-exclusives/
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same dilemma and in the end went for the sept not clan tartan. Some may disagree but I have no problem wearing my clan badge on my family tartan. for me they go hand in hand showing alegence to both clan and family. I will buy my clan tartan when I can afford at a later date.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Sean Wilson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that there is an idea that may be rooted in history but is largely, at least in modern terms, more fantasy than fact. That idea is one of pledging allegiance to a clan chief by wearing the clan tartan or clansman's crest badge. While the use of the latter, historically, did indicate allegiance as it represented the use of another man's heraldry with the intention of showing loyalty (as Jock pointed-out so well), in modern times I see such symbols used more as indicators of shared roots than of feudal ties.

While I've never interacted with a member of the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs, I have heard from numerous sources that the men and women that comprise it are modern, reasonable people who see their position as a figurehead that represents the clan, its history, and its modern members, not as some fount of all authority over those with a clan surname or a person that demands life and loyalty of them. With that understanding, the clansman's crest badge, while representing the heraldic crest of a single clan chief, also represents the clan and its history (as evidenced by the numerous "armigerous clans" that lack recognized chiefs), and if you feel a tie to that clan, even if it is through a "sept" name, proudly wear the crest badge. If you do not, there are a number of other options you could go with.

Unlike heraldic devices, tartan usage is not regulated by law, and many members here wear tartans of surnames many branches distant on their family trees, that have some other historic connection to their families, or even "fashion" tartans that are not associated with a clan or family at all. While this is not traditional, it does often provide an opportunity for them to discuss their roots with those who ask about their tartan or to wear a tartan that appeals to them visually rather than familially. Compelling arguments have been made that tartan didn't become the family affair it currently is until as late as the 19th Century, though certain Highland areas and their families had particular styles and patterns that dominated their dress prior to the "codification" of clan tartans and the introduction of tartans for Lowland families. There are numerous articles and threads on the subject that could be found with little effort.

Despite that, I personally feel most comfortable wearing a tartan associated with my surname (and my surname is not a clan name but is associated with one) or that is not associated with any name at all. Wearing a crest badge associated with the larger clan simply shows, in my opinion and experience, with which clan your family has traditionally been associated, and I don't think anyone would take umbrage at a combination of such a badge with an associated sept's tartan.

Finally, many unknowingly become "clan billboards" as they buy-up every possible wardrobe item they can find with a crest badge on it - sporrans, sgian dubhs, kilt pins, cap badges, lapel pins, earrings, rings, etc. It is my opinion that, especially when it comes to clan items, less is more - one (or maybe two) items are generally more than enough and don't leave you looking like a Formula 1 car sponsored by a clan society!
    Last edited by Cygnus; 30th December 15 at 06:04 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Cygnus For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the thing to keep in mind is - where did your ancestors come from? Being born with a particular surname does not, in some automatic way, make you part of a Highland Clan and the Clan system, historically, was only in the Highlands.

If, for example, your last name is Campbell and your people come from the area between Ayr and Dumfries, they may not have been part of the Highland Clan located up near Loch Awe. The same divisions are true with many names such as Gordon and the Stewart spelling of that family name.

There is no single, authoritative Sept list. In fact the whole idea of Septs is quite recent. It comes from the romantic period myth that all Scots are part of some Clan. This could not be further from the truth. Basically any part of Scotland on the East coast and anywhere south of Stirling is in the Lowlands. Almost all the cities and the vast majority of Scots lived and still live in the Lowlands. They may not have been part of a Highland Clan, may not have had a Tartan, and may not have worn kilts.

The choosing of a Tartan is a very personal thing. If you carry the same last name as a Highland Clan, and wish to wear a Tartan that carries that name, you may. You may choose to join a Clan that is different from your last name. I would suggest a letter to the Clan Chief in this case. Paying your money at a tent at a Highland Games is not the same as joining a Highland Clan. The tents are often sponsored by Clan societies which may or may not have anything to do with the Highland Clan. I personally know of at least one society that, although it uses the same surname, has nothing to do with the Highland Clan and is not recognized by the Clan Chief.

I have one customer who carries the surname Cawdor but will not wear a Campbell Clan Tartan even though Campbell of Cawdor is the only Tartan with his last name. His family are from the area just outside of Inverness.

In making your choice remember that a Tartans is totally different than a crest. Just because there is a Tartan would not imply that there would be an associated Crest. The Center part of a Clan Badge is the Crest and that is owned by the Clan Chief. It is the Crest of his personal Arms. (nope, sorry, there is no such thing as a family coat of arms under the Scottish system) When we encircle the chief's crest with a belt and buckle it demotes membership in that clan or fealty to that chief.

The secret here is not to get too wrapped up in this Tartan, Clan, Crest thing. If you carry the surname that is shared by a Tartan and you choose to wear that Tartan, wear it proudly. If there is a Tartan for the area or region where your family is from and you choose to wear that Tartan, again, wear it proudly. If you work for Safeway and choose to wear the Safeway Tartan, yep, same thing, wear it proudly. Tartan tells the world - "Who am I, where do I come from, how did I get her." If you have pride in yourself, have pride in 'your' Tartan.

In fact as a member of this forum you are fully authorized to wear the X Marks Tartan. (The one you see as the Wallpaper to this forum) And if anyone questions that, tell them that you have the Tartan owner's personal permission to do so.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 30th December 15 at 05:49 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

14. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post: