X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the Saddle Again -- Douglas Weathered 16oz tank by Bonnie Heather Greene

Hi y'all. After a prolonged not quite complete absence from these pages for reasons which will not be discussed, I am happy to bring the first official picture of my "new" Weathered Douglas Strome 8 yard tank handsewn by my friend Bonnie Heather Greene. Although completed and recieved over a year ago, the first opportunity to wear this new kilt came at my company holiday party a couple weeks ago. I will write a full review at my next opportunity to don this beauty so keep watching this thread. For now I will simply say that the kilt was spot on for the measurements I provided (I put on a couple pounds from when I first got it) but still fit perfectly with a couple more strapholes utilized than I normally would. This I believe is the 4th tank that I have had Bonnie make for me and, although all of them fit and wear wonderfully, with each successive kilt we have dialed in small changes to now a near perfect fit to my less than perfect and entirely unfit body. Until further details are fleshed out in this thread, along with better and more complete photographic array, I will simply post this picture, and say "Thank You" again to Bonnie for the wonderful kilt.

Last edited by ForresterModern; 28th December 15 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What!? No flat cap! Great to see you about again!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th December 15 at 02:28 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smart. I like the jacket too the dark buttons look great.
    [B]Its all a kist o whistles tae me [/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good, and good to see you here again as well!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to sydnie7 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, I did not even pack a flat gap, although I did have my navy balmoral with me but it was across the room next to my camera bag, not worn in the interior environs of the party. I was so mucch in demand for conversation (and a few pictures) that I never got my camera going, and before I knew it we were heading out the door for the last bus back to the hotel, so I got no pictures in my camera.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ForresterModern For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the Douglas Weathered. Looks great.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was first turned on to the Weathered Douglas tartan by a friend and former Xmarker Rob Wright who was the first I know that had showed his new Weathered Douglas in these pages several years ago. I loved it then and still love it.

Forrester is a sept of Douglas (at least our line would have been), and Forrester did not have any official clan tartan until the 1960s or so. If any of my forebearers wore the kilt it would likely have been as one of the Douglas clan families, and under that clan leadership. I was not originally fond of the Douglas Modern sett, which is pretty simplistic yet a bit jarring with that single bright white stripe on a predominantly dark blue and green background. I did however fall in love with that sett in different colorways and have now developed my Douglas collection to include Ancient, Ancient Red, Black (not the black and grey), Brown, and now Weathered tartans. I did pick up enough of an N Batley 16 oz tartan whose colors are less harsh (particulalry the white stripe is less stark and striking) and that will be finding its way into the hands of Bonnie for my next kilt sometime in the hopefully not too distant future.