X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supporting KiltStore

Since they have offered such discounts to Xmarks members I thought i would order 6 kilts.

On reflection, i placed an order for a kilt pin
    their prices seem to be good, i'll review the pin when it arrives.

I'm finding that with extra kilts i need extra pins, the one I've chosen is here:
    http://www.kiltstore.net/sr_wscot_ki...e=highlandwear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a charcoal geay argyll vest with antique silver buttons.

I did some recalculations and I think even with taw and duty it will be less expensive than ordering one here.

Casey

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Graham, Very wise move to provide a kilt pin for each and every kilt. This is an excellent choice if I might say so. A tad conservative perhaps, but I am sure you'll not be disappointed.

Casey, your choice of charcoal for a vest is also a wise one. It's dark enough to be worn formally yet, not being black, will do very well for informal wear and, in my experience, charcoal above the waist goes with any colour tartan below it. I do not know the KiltStore's jackets/vests but if they are anything like the quality of their Camouflage and Denim kilts, you will be more than satisfied.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey
    I ordered a charcoal geay argyll vest with antique silver buttons.

I did some recalculations and I think even with taw and duty it will be less expensive than ordering one here.

Casey
    Casey, I'm thinking of the same jacket, let me know what you think of your when it comes.

Hamish, the range of pins is not as wide as I would prefer, I would love to see some more creative designs at the same low prices, such as your celtic pin which I like.

But I will be buying more pins, and yes, I agree with one pin per kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was browsing their website the other day and got to thinking that perhaps it might be a interesting to order a pair of nice trews. It would be a nice change from those drafty old kilts! In addition, I would feel more like a trew Scot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier this week, I contacted Kiltstore via email concerning their Irish Blood [Diaspora] tartan. I wanted to know if they would charge extra for pleating to line, and I had my answer within the hour. In fact, a sample of the tartan is purportedly on its way to my door as I write this.

I really haven't taken the time to check out their complete line of goods, and I really should. So far, though, I am impressed with their service.

FYI, no extra charge for pleating to line.

Mychael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am impressed with the sight. I do like what I see, just trying to figure out what to get. Oh the joys of my kilt obsession!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu (Ontario)
    I was browsing their website the other day and got to thinking that perhaps it might be a interesting to order a pair of nice trews. It would be a nice change from those drafty old kilts! In addition, I would feel more like a trew Scot.
    That's not funny Blu, not even remotely funny, I didn't laff at all.
    You're what we call in Australia - a stirrer, good and proper, a stirrer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Blu... You're what we call in Australia - a stirrer, good and proper, a stirrer
    We have that same designation here in the States. Yes, I have noticed that Blu definitely loves stirring the pot!

Out of curiousity, what is the deal behind the invention of trews? Were they a contemporary of the tartan kilt, or did they come about in the aftermath of the appeal of the Dress Act when men who were unfamiliar with wearing kilts might have felt more comfortable using trousers to show their Scottish heritage?

Interestingly enough, my kilted-skirt eschewing wife said that if it were the right tartan and style (not all puffy at the waist), she would like a pair of ladies tartan trousers.

Mychael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mychael
    .... Out of curiousity, what is the deal behind the invention of trews? Were they a contemporary of the tartan kilt....
    Interestingly enough, my kilted-skirt eschewing wife said that.... Mychael
    Trews were definitely contemporary with. The originals were made more like tights and worn close fitting to the body... my guess is that riding horses probably had a lot to do with it. As for your wife... why such disdain towards womens kilted skirts??? They are so much more flattering than those "A" line things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast