X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sgian dubh in church?

This may be a silly question but I am not sure whether it would be correct to wear the sgian dubh in church. I am a practising Catholic and we will be going to a function shortly after the mass on Saturday evening and it would be easier to wear the kilt in church and go on to the function rather than rush home to change. Is it more proper to leave the sgian dubh in the car ? I don't want to offend anyone
    [B]Its all a kist o whistles tae me [/B]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that if the question comes to mind, it pretty well answers itself. I doubt you'll be criticized by anybody as being "out of uniform" if it's left in your car.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can hardly pretend to be an expert on church matters, or even a regular attendee of churches, but in three score years and ten plus a tad of visiting churches of various denominations from time to time, I have probably always worn a SD whilst wearing the kilt on all occasions at such venues. I have never had a problem and I have never heard of anyone else having a problem whilst carrying a SD when wearing the kilt in church. Remember the SD is not considered a weapon although it could be used as one in dire circumstances, but then, so could a brick. However, that would be churches in Scotland mostly, the home of Highland attire.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th January 16 at 03:04 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to churches where people who are concealed carry permit holders are carrying their side arms in church... But then again, I live in Texas. I played in the band at one of them for several years, and it was practically expected that if you had a permit you would be armed. Southern Baptists... go figure.

There was also a wonderful family from Scotland who attended this same church. I recall two occasions when the father and son dressed up in their full highland dress. This was well before my kilt wearing days so I don't know for sure, but I assume it was in recognition of St. Andrews Day. I can't recall if they wore the Sgian Dubh, but at that church, amidst all the firearms, a little knife wouldn't have phased anyone.

I usually carry a small folding knife clipped to my pocket, including when at a worship service. I don't own a Sgian Dubh yet, but if I did, and if I ever wore a traditional style kilt to church, I'd probably wear the Sgian. If I were asked to remove it, I would do so promptly and without question.
    Sláinte from Texas,
    - Minus
    Man · Motorcycle Enthusiast · Musician

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MinusHD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were not a member of this site, you probably would not think twice about it. If I am wearing anything other than casual day wear and attending any formal occasion, such as going to church and of course including my own Church wedding, if I did not wear my SD my wife would have a lot to say about it.

You are in the UK and in England, I doubt anyone will even notice it , never mind saying anything. If you are wearing a kilt, you may consider yourself undressed without it. At least that is what you could say if anyone asked.

In the last 22 years that I have been in England, I can only recollect one occasion when anyone, outside my family, commented on my SD, and that was to ask if it was sharp.

The short answer is: if it is an occasion which justifies jacket and flashes - wear your SD.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I carry a blade with me everyday even at Sunday mass? yup I have a blade, it's a tool as well as a piece of mind, and to use a phrase I learned as a young lad from my grandfather, "never be far from arms boy, the blood of Cain flows in all mankind" a thought I carry with me to this day.
    Last edited by GrainReaper; 14th January 16 at 06:24 PM.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize you're in the UK, but I wouldn't think twice about it in my area.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

LANCER1562 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I still lived in California, I attended Church every Sunday and I carried my SD. No one said anything about it other than how nice a given SD looked.
    Robert
    Member of: S.W.E.A.R.S., Steel Bonnets, Flat Cap Confederation, SMALL, KABOOM, K.O.O.P.S, Law Dawgz

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me preface this with - I am not a religious person. The closest I would come to would be agnostic.

But, that said, I'm sorry, I must be the exception.

If I were to enter a place of worship, any place of worship, where peace is preached, taught, and expected, I would not carry a weapon of any kind, sort or description. You may call it a tool if you must, call it part of the uniform if you wish, that is your choice. I was taught that inside that building is sacred and special. I can not think of any need or justification for a tool or weapon during service.

I don't think I would want to hold up my ethnic rights or anything else that would justify a weapon in such a place. I also think that the concept of selflessness is taught there. The concept that it is not me, myself, and how good I look in my finery that is most important.

I would also not carry a weapon out of respect. Respect for the others in that place. Respect for what concepts that are being taught.

I guess to me there are three places that I hold sacred and would never carry a weapon. (Even a weapon some would justify as a tool.) Those are 1) A place of worship, 2) A place of learning, and 3) A place of Law. So call me weird but I would never carry a Sgian Dubh into a church, a school or a courthouse.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 15th January 16 at 12:40 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Let me preface this with - I am not a religious person. The closest I would come to would be agnostic.

But, that said, I'm sorry, I must be the exception.

If I were to enter a place of worship, any place of worship, where peace is preached, taught, and expected, I would not carry a weapon of any kind, sort or description. You may call it a tool if you must, call it part of the uniform if you wish, that is your choice. I was taught that inside that building is sacred and special. I can not think of any need or justification for a tool or weapon during service.

I don't think I would want to hold up my ethnic rights or anything else that would justify a weapon in such a place. I also think that the concept of selflessness is taught there. The concept that it is not me, myself, and how good I look in my finery that is most important.

I would also not carry a weapon out of respect. Respect for the others in that place. Respect for what concepts that are being taught.

I guess to me there are three places that I hold sacred and would never carry a weapon. (Even a weapon some would justify as a tool.) Those are 1) A place of worship, 2) A place of learning, and 3) A place of Law. So call me weird but I would never carry a Sgian Dubh into a church, a school or a courthouse.
    I don't disagree with your sentiments Steve, however I have never considered a sgian dubh or a pocket knife to be a weapon. I do tend to wear my sgian bru or nothing if dressing casually.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast