X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2016 Burns Night memories, anyone...?

2nd Burns Night in this part of metro Chicago was at a local community college radio station studio.

Andrew Calhoun, Chicago area Scottish folksinger and Robert Burns scholar / translator / interpreter, was the featured artist and proved fascinating-wide-deep learned-sincere-accomplished-gracious. His music CDs are highly recommended and Andrew has a meticulously-researched-translated, much-corrected, book on Burns, the Bard, coming soon.

Also present were veteran piper John Ludwig and guitarist/vocalist Amy Dixon-Kolar, accomplished folksinger, who performed "Auld Lang Syne" correctly; much of Burns' music has been done not-as-written for so long, the incorrect way is widely accepted and copied.

As this was not a dinner event, Scottish Breakfast tea, shortbread cookies and magnificent dark chocolate-Guinness brownies were snacks.

Some of us went afterwards to the radio studio, where Andrew spoke and played live and Amy and Piper Johnny also performed live on hostess Lilli Kuzma's "Folk Festival" weekly broadcast.

Splendid event!

(Kilt by Bonnie Heather Greene and sporran/flashes from Jerry at Stillwater contributed to this writer's informal evening kit.)
    Last edited by James Hood; 27th January 16 at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On Saturday the 23rd of January, it was also the second ever Burns night Celebrations held by Snowflake Sailing club, at Horning Sailing Clubs premises on the Norfolk Broads in the UK.

We arrived in dry, but windy, weather, the organisers had put the pontoon bridge out, which saved those of us in Kilts having problems going over the very exposed footbridge.

Once all 72 were assembled in the small 20ft by 30ft Clubhouse, a short welcoming speech was given by the organiser in his RAF kilt, and PC with RAF buttons.

We then had the first course of Cock-a-leekie soup, followed by the piping in of the Haggis.

The Piper, a member of Horning Sailing Club had come back from visiting relatives in Scotland early for this event. As he piped in the haggis in I had to stand back from the top table into a corner, to let the haggis into it's destination we were that crowded.
    The ceremonial Address to the haggis was performed by another Scotsman with actions related to the poem. After the dispatch of the haggis, he was thanked by the organiser, who then went on to thank the piper who had paid for meal for him and his wife, even though it was offered to him for free!!!

Then it was haggis for all, except for a few vegetarians who don't believe in killing haggi.

We then had a short quiz on Scotland with a tot of whisky for all correct answers. This was to allow the tiny kitchen to ready themselves for the next course of Cranachan.

I should add we are two of the most egalitarian sailing clubs on the broads, with annual membership for a family for both the summer and winter club totalling about 150 pounds a year. Meaning most of the staff in the kitchens were club members and guests at the meal as well, ( only two paid caterers for the event).

After the meal was cleared away ( There was a large bottle of whisky on the tables for each 8 to 10 people), It was time for a speech given by a Retired RAF officer in full Mess dress with RAF tartan cummerbund. The history of Burn's, with quotations, at one point he stopped and said "my I Pad has stopped" and so he reached into his pocket and said" good job I brought my analogue I Pad" and carried on reading from his hand written notes.

We have a lot of EX-RAF members (including me) of both SSC and HSC, as we are near several now closed bases.

Then we had the funny and slightly rude Address to the ladies followed by the similarly rude and funny address to the Gentlemen.

Then It was back to the Quiz on Scotland with more tots of Whisky being handed out, I had to refrain from answering as I was driving home. Next year I should have my motorboat back from rebuild and have somewhere to stay, so I can answer next year!

Chatting to the piper, he had struggled to get his pipes in tune, as he had left a dry warm house, into the cold outside and then into the warm damp clubhouse.

Several club members that had been to other Burns nights but enjoyed our Night more as it was less "earnest".

And so to home and bed, via the, by now, very very windy and pouring rain pouring rain outside. I had to get up for some good sailing at SSC in the morning...
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Q For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relaxing on Robbie Burns Day with a wee dram after spending the afternoon at a Burns afternoon affair at a dear 94 year old's seniors' residence. Two members of the local Burns Club choir sang Scottish songs and recited Burns poems. All were given a small sample of haggis and Scotch. Not all liked either so I was invited to have seconds, and indeed thirds of each. My wife and I visit our dear friend every Friday, and I always go kilted so the the folks weren't surprised to see me kilted. In fact they haven't seen me without.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The correct photo!

I appear to have run into a technical problem. The above picture is from my wife and I in Nfld. last summer.

Last edited by Liam; 27th January 16 at 06:55 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the pleasure of going to 2 Burns Suppers this year the first was in Whitby Ontario at a pub. Nathan asked me to come out to recite a few poems. I was able to only do To a Mouse as the pub was so loud. It was still a good primer and it is always wonderful to take time to meet up with a friend to toast Burns. The second night was a more traditional Burns Night it was held at The Naval Club of Toronto, I found it online after looking for a reasonably priced place to go. It was a great evening with lots of unexpected moments, I met new friends, old friends and everything inbetween. When we arrived the rest of my two table party were there and the Naval club was looking for volunteers to read poems, I asked to do Tam O'Shanter as I recite it and have done so for years now. It was really wonderful to recite it to a room of people who were listening instead of talking, in the past I've done it in noisy pubs and it is nice when the audience listens. Anyway after everything was said and done a bunch of us had an impromptu group song of Barretts Privateers. A great night was had by all who attended. A friends did get a video of me doing Tam, once I get that I will post a link to it.

Here is a photo from the Naval Club

9. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year I was asked by the director to fill in for our secondary piper at our scotch clubs Burns Night Dinner. Since it is the primary piper's job to present the haggis it fell to me to pipe the haggis in. To say I was nervous would be a gross under statement.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to crash For This Useful Post:

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two threads with photos of the two Burns Night Supper events I was part of

From our ScottishCountry Dance Class Burns Night Party

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...t-photo-90042/

And here is the big Nor Cal Rabble 10th (and Final) Burns Night Supper a week later

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-supper-90082/

Both were very fun and I will remember 2016 and Burns Night very fondly!

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert Burn's Dinner in San Diego

We had the pleasure of attending the 3rd Annual Robert Burn's Dinner at the Scottish Rite Center. There was a very large crowd in attendance and we had a wonderful evening with pipers, dancers and several presentations in celebration of the Bard. I have had the pleasure of helping to organize this event from its inception. We're looking forward to celebrating it again this next year!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	27256

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	27257

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG