X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool About a Scottish wedding in a Castle...

Hello everyone,

My dear chap proposed me some month ago and we decided to get married in Scotland.
    We wish to do a Scottish Traditional wedding.

We chose a (quite) famous castle on Skye... in May, 2017.
    I would like to know everything about a Scottish wedding.

We'll have a Scottish piper (of course) but we are not sure what he will play (he asked us).

I'll have an edwardian inspired dress but want to add something Scottish to it (my taylor is already making a sash with the tartan of the clan we are member in).
    We're going next may to visit the castle a first time and meet the taylor of my man!

Everything can help!
    The auld alliance!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nella Fragola For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a thought. As the wedding will be in May, look for the plants claimed by each of your clans. A sprig here and there would be a good touch for the bride and groom garnishes to hats (with or without a clan badge and worn outside), lapels and bouquets. Most plants should be starting to bloom.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, congratulations to you both. Secondly, traditional Scottish weddings are generally fairly low key affairs. Its your wedding so you will have what you wish, but my advice is, be careful as you may end up with an expensive Holywood-esque travesty of the real thing. Somewhere there is a thread here of a very traditional wedding of two very traditional and fairly well known Scottish families that you may find helpful if you could find it. I will try and find it.

Found it! Go to the "kilts in the Media" forum, Page 7, "Scots Aristocracy Wed in Highland Dress". In the first post click on "sister" and the pictures will appear.

All weddings are different from one another I know, but the pictures there are as "traditional" as Scottish weddings get.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 2nd February 16 at 11:18 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to the thread that Jock is referencing .

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...d-dress-83875/

Also , here is a link to the news article showing the pics .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...s-wedding.html

Jock , I had a good chuckle regarding your comments about " hands in the pocket and Eton " .

Cheers , Mike
    Last edited by MacGumerait; 3rd February 16 at 12:10 AM.
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot!

It is this what you're calling "holliwoodish?" ==>http://www.scottish-master-of-wedding-ceremonies.co.uk

Even if we're going to get married in a Castle, we want something simple and we'll have 24 guest at least.

I am not sure I want a bouquet for my part... and no way for a veil!
    The auld alliance!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is difficult to answer tactfully and you are asking an honest question that deserves an honest reply. The best advice I can give you is run from that website! Run as far away from it as you can!
    However, if that is the sort of wedding you want then go ahead, but in absolute honesty, traditional it is not.

Historical? Perhaps. Theatrical? Definitely!

I have been to several weddings at Scottish castles and NONE have been anything like the ones shown on the website that you show. Many that I and my wife have attended have been simple affairs and ALL WITHOUT the theatrical razz-ma-tazz. There could be anything up to a hundred or more guests, but usually about 20-30 guests, some--the men----- would be wearing the kilt, some wearing tartan trews, most just wearing a suit and the girls as ever looking absolutely charming in their assorted wedding frocks. Sometimes, there is a religious aspect to the wedding, but most often, it seems, a soberly attired(suits) lady or gentleman with the correct legal authorisations and qualifications performs a civil form of wedding service. And lovely the weddings are!

Another variation on the castle theme, is the wedding service takes place at a church, or, registry office and the reception is then held at a castle. These can turn out to be rather more grand occasions, but not necessarily so.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th February 16 at 03:36 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock has said well what I didn't have the nerve to say lest someone think I was saying it from the perspective of my vocation. There seems little there that us "traditional".
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, I shared the link to show an example of that "hollywood-ish" Scottish wedding we were talking about.. That's exactly what we wish to avoid ;)

In fact, as we are french, we can't get married in Scotland, so all the papers will be done in our hometown.

About our wedding in the castle, we were thinking about two options: book a master of ceremony (but with no papers to fill, just to pronounce our vows and to put the rings on!) or ask a friend to do it, which could be great as we could really do it the way we like!

One thing we would like to do is "hand fasting". I would really like to dance as well, and one Scottish friend told me we can book a professional to guide us for the dancing!

And this is the kind of wedding we like: http://whimsicalwonderlandweddings.c...e-wedding.html

Another question: can I wear my sash for the wedding? Do I put it on before, during or after the wedding? I just wish to have the tartan of my fiancé that day on my outfit too.
    The auld alliance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nella Fragola View Post

One thing we would like to do is "hand fasting". I would really like to dance as well, and one Scottish friend told me we can book a professional to guide us for the dancing!
    Nella,
    Traditionally, though customs varied with place and time, "handfasting" was a sort of engagement ceremony which permitted couples to live together. If no child was conceived within a year and a day, the couple were free to go their separate ways.
    Following on American practice, you can certainly hire a "caller" to guide you and your guests through the dances though normally a ceilidh band would do this as a matter of course.
    For example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FZq-wTLeJg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1zHcw3tVts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0lQqxZVpg
    Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 14th February 16 at 04:05 AM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a pretty long life I must have been to at least a couple of hundred weddings in the Scottish Highlands and thus far I have never seen a "hand fasting" ceremony at a wedding, or ever for that matter. Also, I can only remember a couple of tartan sashes being worn by the bride at the wedding ceremony and perhaps a few more worn at the reception. Of course by then, the tartan worn would be the tartan of the husband and family.

So Nella, assuming that you are married(in France) by the time you are in Scotland, then yes you can wear the tartan of your husband at the event in Scotland. Wear it right through the service, from the start.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th February 16 at 04:00 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast