X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Smart daywear? Really? Yes its tweed, so one might think so, but the tie and sporran do not necessarily imply that that might be the intention, which is why I asked where and what the intended use was going to be. For daywear, smart daywear even, one would not normally wear a ruche tie and a dress sporran with a tweed jacket. So, are we talking formal daywear(morning coat equivalent) here? Tweed and horn buttons do not lead one to think so.
    The jacket can be worn as a daywear jacket with a day sporran if you want to make it more casual. However, as it is a jacket we offer in our hire range, we'll find that most people wearing the outfit will be going to a wedding and will therefore want the outfit to be more formal. Most of our customers will wear the jacket with dress sporran and a ruche or straight tie.

We have found our tweed 'daywear' jackets become increasingly popular for formal events as opposed to the traditional black tie outfits such as Prince Charlie.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dominic MacGregor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    I like the blue tweed but the ruche tie and the dress sporran don't play well with it. To me it's a mixed-up look but, as I said, I like the tweed and the cut of the jacket. Price range and some information about the large buttons would be welcome.
    The buttons on the jacket are no different from our Glen Orchy Tweed or Oban Tweed jackets. They are imitation staghorn and are an average size.

Jacket will retail at 421.70 USD excluding VAT.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dominic MacGregor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dominic for your replies, which are entirely predicable, even though I had hoped they might not be!

You run a kilt hire business which does have to cater for all sorts of customers, most, I suspect, go to you for kilt attire advice because in your part of the world there is little family experience on kilt attire knowledge. I have to be honest here and say with the greatest of respect, that the advice you give is quite wrong as far as an experienced kilt wearing Highland Scot is concerned. Now I fully understand that it is economically unviable to cater for each and every individual, so I can see a "one style fits all" mentality is sensible.

Should I want to hire from your establishment my attire requirements for a day wedding would be entirely different. As your attire would not fit the thought processes that I, my family and our peers were brought up with. We read from a different book!

Interestingly, I recently hired a kilt and attire for a smart day wedding for a friend who was flying in from abroad, the kilt fitted perfectly, but the sporran, hose, shoes, jacket and tie although they fitted perfectly were quite unsuitable for the event. We successfully rustled around family and friends for the, what we considered, appropriate attire and everyone was happy. When I returned the hire attire, I had a chat with the owner of the concern and he was not in the least bit surprised and with his words ringing in my ears as I left his premises ---on good terms, I hasten to add, "the trouble with people like you, is that you actually know what you ought to wear!". I laughed all the way home at that!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th February 16 at 04:32 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Thank you Dominic for your replies, which are entirely predicable, even though I had hoped they might not be!

You run a kilt hire business which does have to cater for all sorts of customers, most, I suspect, go to you for kilt attire advice because in your part of the world there is little family experience on kilt attire knowledge. I have to be honest here and say with the greatest of respect, that the advice you give is quite wrong as far as an experienced kilt wearing Highland Scot is concerned. Now I fully understand that it is economically unviable to cater for each and every individual, so I can see a "one style fits all" mentality is sensible.

Should I want to hire from your establishment my attire requirements for a day wedding would be entirely different. As your attire would not fit the thought processes that I, my family and our peers were brought up with. We read from a different book!

Interestingly, I recently hired a kilt and attire for a smart day wedding for a friend who was flying in from abroad, the kilt fitted perfectly, but the sporran, hose, shoes, jacket and tie although they fitted perfectly were quite unsuitable for the event. We successfully rustled around family and friends for the, what we considered, appropriate attire and everyone was happy. When I returned the hire attire, I had a chat with the owner of the concern and he was not in the least bit surprised and with his words ringing in my ears as I left his premises ---on good terms, I hasten to add, "the trouble with people like you, is that you actually know what you ought to wear!". I laughed all the way home at that!
    Thanks for your feedback.

We offer a wide range of outfit options for hire and new to try and suit all of our customers. It is difficult to put across all the different options through a couple of photos on our website but each customer can custom build their hire or new outfit with the accessories they want.

The picture of the new Arran Navy jacket is just a stock image to show off our new jacket style and we have paired it with items that the majority of our customers would like to wear.

We have found as a company that we have had to modernise and move away slightly from what is considered traditional as a large number of our customers are looking for more modern outfits. For customers who are looking for traditional outfits, we still do this and offer as much advice as we can to help you get the outfit you are looking for. But we also need to move ahead with the times and try to offer modern outfits that still uphold the traditions of kilt wearing as much as possible.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Dominic MacGregor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic MacGregor View Post
    Thanks for your feedback.

We offer a wide range of outfit options for hire and new to try and suit all of our customers. It is difficult to put across all the different options through a couple of photos on our website but each customer can custom build their hire or new outfit with the accessories they want.

The picture of the new Arran Navy jacket is just a stock image to show off our new jacket style and we have paired it with items that the majority of our customers would like to wear.

We have found as a company that we have had to modernise and move away slightly from what is considered traditional as a large number of our customers are looking for more modern outfits. For customers who are looking for traditional outfits, we still do this and offer as much advice as we can to help you get the outfit you are looking for. But we also need to move ahead with the times and try to offer modern outfits that still uphold the traditions of kilt wearing as much as possible.
    Its your business Dominic and you are within your rights to run your business as you see fit and of course, you do.

However and I say this with the greatest respect and not a little sadness that the kilt hire business in general are almost wholely responsible for the utter muddle that ensues over appropriate kilt attire for a particular event. The results and consequences regularly star on this website.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th February 16 at 08:12 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cuff options for buying?

First off,
    WOW! I love the look of this jacket and waistcoat. Been wanting a blue tweed myself for quite some time now, could you post a picture of you or one of your employees wearing it so to give us a better idea for the fit? Also, will there be an option for argyll/gauntlet cuffs instead of the braemar/prince charlie ones shown for those interested?

Bravo! Cheers!
    "REMEMBER!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rich deep color. I like it. As another poster asked" Retail cost"? (50L)
    Is fheàrr fheuchainn na bhith san dùil.
    Tis better to try than to hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Cole View Post
    First off,
    WOW! I love the look of this jacket and waistcoat. Been wanting a blue tweed myself for quite some time now, could you post a picture of you or one of your employees wearing it so to give us a better idea for the fit? Also, will there be an option for argyll/gauntlet cuffs instead of the braemar/prince charlie ones shown for those interested?

Bravo! Cheers!
    Glad you like our new launch! Here is a link to the jacket and waistcoat on our website where there are a wider range of photos for you to view: http://www.macgregorandmacduff.co.uk...coat-prod.html

Unfortunately there is not an option to change the cuffs on our Arran Navy Tweed jacket, however you could go for our Premium Bespoke Jacket and Waistcoat where you can choose the jacket style and material among other aspects. Here is the link: http://www.macgregorandmacduff.co.uk...coat-prod.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MGMorrison View Post
    A rich deep color. I like it. As another poster asked" Retail cost"? (50L)
    The cost of the kilt jacket and waistcoat is £349.00. You can also buy our Arran Navy Tweed Package for £849.00 which comes with the Arran Navy Tweed jacket and waistcoat and Arran Mist kilt as well as leather brogues, kilt hose, tartan flashes, replica sgian dubh, kilt pin and a dress sporran.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123