X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to get kilt buckles and straps?

I'm just full of questions - glad I found a forum with some answers.

Today I purchased the last materials for my "practice" kilt - buckles for the straps. I'm not even being picky about them for this kilt, and my local Fabricland didn't have anything even remotely suitable! I found something workable at a Tandy Leather craft store, though I am concerned at how thick the "prong" is (stop giggling!) since it's got to poke through the fabric weave without cutting it (per the wisdom of TAoK).

Neither place had anything useful for the leather straps; though if I wanted to outfit myself for serious leather-working, I could make suitable straps with materials and equipment from Tandy... but I'm kinda hoping to find something ready-made I can just sew on. Anyone know of sources for kilt straps and/or buckles? (As much as I like to "touch and feel" before I buy, online would also be acceptable, especially with someone knowledgeable to vouch for quality.)

In any case, for the practice kilt I will be falling back on plan B - to make the straps from an old leather jacket with leather pliable enough to work easily... but for the "real deal" kilts I'll be making next, I'd like to have nice buckles and straps!

Thanks in advance for advice!

B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B,

Check out L & M Highland Wear....google it. There, you'll look under 'Highland' and proceed to click on 'Kilt Straps and Buckles'. These are proper kilt straps and buckles. Typically, I choose 1 1/4 inch wide straps and the corresponding buckles for a man's kilt...your preference.

You'll have to post pictures when you're done!!

Cheers!

Stephan
    Last edited by Stephan; 5th February 16 at 02:36 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Stephan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henderson's is another option. I've used these straps a few times and they're, eh, fine. You'd never call them nice or particularly well made but they'll keep a kilt from falling down. They're cheap though, and perfect for a practice kilt.

Simple straps are easy to make and wouldn't require more than a straight edge, a utility knife, and a hole punch. I really like the straps Paul Henry uses on his kilts. The leather looks nice and thick, big chunky buckles, simple pointy finishing on the end. For buckles, Buckle Guy has some nice stuff. You could also try etsy.
    Last edited by ratspike; 5th February 16 at 03:44 PM.
    Cheers!
    Bob

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ratspike For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purchase them where many other kiltmakers get theirs.

Highland Xpress - http://www.highlandxpress.com/patterns.html

One of the very few sources for brown straps w/ solid brass buckles.

1 1/4" for a man's kilt and 3/4" for ladies.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also get them from the Scottish Trading Company pretty cheap.

http://www.scottishtradingcompany.co...oducts_id=1832

Making your own is, as mentioned, pretty simple. You want leather in the 5-6 oz. range (I use veg tanned tooling leather as it doesn't stretch much over time and avoids getting mushy). Whether or not it's worth making your own, buying a bottle of dye and a decent hole punch probably depends on how many kilts you plan to make. You're not going to save a lot, but you can customize their design and color as you see fit.

I started making my own because it seemed to me that commercial straps were rather minimal and uninspiring. Plus, I'm just crazy enough to spend a couple of free hours making myself three little 6" straps, each with two layers of 4 oz. leather and I already have the tools. They're way too tedious to make to ever be able to do it commercially - but for my own stuff, I'll waste the time, just for fun.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, those look great! You have inspired me...

B.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My inspiration was very deep-seated Once I had finished my belt, sporran and sporran chain and put them on with this beautiful kilt that Barb made for me. Looking at this photo I thought "Gee, it would be nice if all the leather matched." The lower strap has since been changed with one that does. I sent the three straps shown in the previous photo to Barb for my most recent kilt and they really look nice on it.

Simple straps are perfectly functional, but it is one of those little bits of the kit that can be made more interesting with a minimal investment if desired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful work! And I like the "to the stripe" pleating of the kilt... but without a stripe. Fantastic to have everything matching so perfectly!

B.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barb T gets credit for the stripe. She sent me photos of several possible pleating options to choose from before she made the kilt and I picked this pattern. It's even neater on the black background version of our tartan (black replaces the blue, other colors are the same). There is something about it that kind of reminds me a little bit of Seminole Indian patterns - or looks like I have some really cool tail feathers. This one just has two buckles though, so no straps are visible.

edit: I guess I've never really thought very much about it in this context, but looking at this photo you can really get a sense that unlike nearly all others, the kilt is a garment that "comes alive" as you wear it!

Last edited by Todd Bradshaw; 6th February 16 at 12:14 AM.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Todd Bradshaw For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about buckles but you can get straps from Robert at Rkilts in Stratford. He is a member here and has a website and facebook page.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to crash For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast