X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this is our chap again? I think so. This time in the Western Desert, not far from the action by the looks of his audience!

" Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting photo there Jock, I study any western desert Photos, as my Scottish Grandfather was a CSM and later RSM of the 7th Royal Tank Regiment, since he was also at Tobruk and of course all over the Western deserts, at some point he almost certainly met Rob Roy at some point even if only in passing at some operational briefing.
    I have only seen one Photo of my grandfather in Uniform which is soon after his arrival home from being a P.O.W.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

MacRob is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    I dont know if this will add or muddy the water, but VolSgt Thompson of the 78th speaks of having to borrow a dirk from a fellow NCO to go on Duty, and then eventually had a local blacksmith make him a blade and he then carved the handle. This was 1757-1760 era. Perhaps its an on duty symbol?

BTW, here are a couple shots of dirks that belonged to Thompson, dont know if these were ones he had while in the 78th or not.

Their style would fit the time frame. They look enough like early 18th c. dirks to satisfy the average Highlander, I would think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12