X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Royal Marines Band and Scots Guard Pipes and Drums Band

Last Thursday, my wife and attended the Royal Marines Band and the Scots Guard Pipes and Drums, and Highland Dancers concert. Ashland, Ky isn’t really known for their appreciation for the arts, yet the Paramount Arts Theater does occasionally host an amazing show. Last Thursday was no exception.
    The show consisted of the Royal Marines Band, the Pipes and Drum Band and Highland Dancers of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards. I was amazed at the quality of the music and the precision by which they marched on that small stage. It was truly delightful. Of course, the Scots Guard was the main attraction for me. I loved seeing them in complete uniform, playing the pipes. Still, the Royal Marines Band was superb. They marched in their white helmets and blue uniforms with such precision that I kept wondering how they played the music so well. Unfortunately, I have no pictures worthy to post.
    If they are playing in your area, you must see them. It was truly an excellent show, and I’m sure you will not be disappointed.
    "Never rise to speak till you have something to say; and when you have said it, cease."-John Knox Witherspoon

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to KentuckyCeltophile For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad you got to see the tour!

I've not missed one of these, I don't think, since 1976.

There's a long-running thread on this tour, here, which I started last summer:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...an-tour-88473/

and other threads have been added, as various XMarkers have either seen the show or discussed it coming to their area.

About appearing in San Diego:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-2016-a-89632/

About appearing in Texas:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...stin-tx-89723/

About appearing in London, Ontario, which has very nice photos:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...21#post1312121

The Military Bands of The Royal Marines are unique, possibly, in having ranks of snare drummers march in the front of the band. Most Military Bands have only one or two snare drummers, in the back row, beside the bass drummer.

For us pipers, interesting are the Shepherd "Orchestral" chanters the pipers use in order to play in tune with the Military Band. They get such a great tone out of those things.

One thing us non-military people often don't realise is how much skill and trouble and time it takes simply to get dressed!

There's a video on YouTube by an ex-Scots Guards piper (who now plays in the Los Angeles Scottish) showing how they put on their plaids. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1XGDB8EtNI
    Last edited by OC Richard; 10th February 16 at 05:25 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching how they put on the plaid is amazing. I would never have thought it took that much work. That is kind of an ugly knot on the shoulder but the brooch covers it nicely.
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

The Military Bands of The Royal Marines are unique, possibly, in having ranks of snare drummers march in the front of the band. Most Military Bands have only one or two snare drummers, in the back row, beside the bass drummer.
    Richard, this is something I've seen more commonly in navy bands as well, at least in Canada and the UK. In the Sea Cadet band I played snare in here in Victoria, the eight snares took the first two ranks. I don't think the navy concert bands (e.g. Naden Band) do this.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Richard, this is something I've seen more commonly in navy bands as well, at least in Canada and the UK. In the Sea Cadet band I played snare in here in Victoria, the eight snares took the first two ranks. I don't think the navy concert bands (e.g. Naden Band) do this.
    This does make sense, inasmuch as the Royal Marines and Navy have a certain amount of shared heritage. Why the drums are in front, is an interesting question. Might it have sometime to do with the fact that originally there were only drummers and the band came along later? I don't know they answer, but it might have something to do with it. If I might throw my question into the fray as well, I have been wondering why the drummers of the Royal Marines bring their drum sticks up to the face. I think they are the only drummers who do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the Royal Marines' drummers bringing their drumsticks horizontally up to the face is unique to them, although they are the only once I've seen doing it while marching/playing. In videos, I've seen drummers in the British Army's Foot Guards do it as a preparatory position (not while marching), too. As well, I believe the Drums of the Fort Henry Guard (portraying 1867 British infantry at Old Fort Henry, Kingston, Ontario) also bring the drumsticks up to the face as a preparatory position prior to playing. My experience in 18th c. British Army reenacting revealed that some of the drummers in those recreated units raise their drumsticks horizontally to their face as a preparatory position. So it appears to have an historical precedence. Of note, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Band copies the Royal Marines in having drummers to the front and they raising the drumsticks horizontally while playing.

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attending a performance at the University of Kansas Friday evening. Are they playing tunes we might recognize, not pop tunes, but familiar things?

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orvis View Post
    I don't think the Royal Marines' drummers bringing their drumsticks horizontally up to the face is unique to them, although they are the only once I've seen doing it while marching/playing. In videos, I've seen drummers in the British Army's Foot Guards do it as a preparatory position (not while marching), too. As well, I believe the Drums of the Fort Henry Guard (portraying 1867 British infantry at Old Fort Henry, Kingston, Ontario) also bring the drumsticks up to the face as a preparatory position prior to playing. My experience in 18th c. British Army reenacting revealed that some of the drummers in those recreated units raise their drumsticks horizontally to their face as a preparatory position. So it appears to have an historical precedence. Of note, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Band copies the Royal Marines in having drummers to the front and they raising the drumsticks horizontally while playing.
    Our band drummed that way as well. Our prep position was sticks horizontal, tips not quite touching, under the nostrils. We also did this while marching. A single hand would come up after tapping in certain places. With white gauntlets it looks quite effective.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    Attending a performance at the University of Kansas Friday evening. Are they playing tunes we might recognize, not pop tunes, but familiar things?
    The theme was something like “Music from the United Kingdom”. They played tuned from Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland. Some of the tunes I recognized, but some I didn’t. They are all traditional tunes, nothing modern or “pop”. Hope you enjoy the show.
    "Never rise to speak till you have something to say; and when you have said it, cease."-John Knox Witherspoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

There's a video on YouTube by an ex-Scots Guards piper (who now plays in the Los Angeles Scottish) showing how they put on their plaids. It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1XGDB8EtNI
    He says at the end, “And that’s how we tie a plaid knot in the Scots Guard”. As if that is nothing. I’m amazed that it took that long. It is definitely a 2 man or even 3 man job getting dressed. Brings new meaning to “team effort”.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast