X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How is it supposed to look?

My Amerikilt came in about 2 inches to big and Michael is going to take care of that but I am not going to send it back until I get back from the mountains.

I noticed that when I wrap it to where it fits it has a bit of an A- Line look, Is that supposed to be that way?

Two pleats to each side of the apron curl out a little and I think that is because I ironed them down to deep and they are pulling open while wearing it. Or is it because it is wrapped to tight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. Wrapped too tight around the hips is usually the reason why pleats in the front will bend. That will happen on traditinals as well as neo's.

As for the "A" look... that's AmeriKilt and UtiliKilt. Unlike the hords of tartan manufacturers, this is a great look and niche that they've developed.

I've found with my AmeriKilts, that you should just wash them, and then hang-dry them over a shower curtain rod (or the likes). In most cases, the pleats will settle where they need to be. It can be VERY tough to find where the taper needs to be when ironing the pleats in the right place!!! And that comes from a kiltmaker!!!

In time, you'll see from wear, exactly where the pleats are going to fall into line. Then you iron like a maniac.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Carbomb
    As for the "A" look... that's AmeriKilt and UtiliKilt. Unlike the hords of tartan manufacturers, this is a great look and niche that they've developed.
    I am glad that this came up because I need to have this "A" look thing explained to me. What makes UK and AK of the "A" look design? Until I read this, my understanding (admittedly not great) was that anything pleated cannot be considered an "A" look. I just now surfed the web looking for an example of an "A" line with pleats and could not find one.

Mychael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mychael
    I need to have this "A" look thing explained to me.
    I don't think, in kilts, that's an actual term. It is, however, an appropriate way to describe the "hang" that's evident in the AmeriKilts and UtiliKilts.

If you look at a Scottish Traditional, or a BearKilt for that matter, they have a curve in the drape that hugs the backside, the hips and the apron. They start small at the waist, and have a bend when they drop.

The modern American kilts tend to start small at the waist, and flare-out with a consistant taper. It's VERY difficult to iron them into the traditional drape. This is why the pleats will often appear to tuck or fold in strange directions. When ironing them, you actually need to let the ever-widening taper go!
    Arise. Kill. Eat.