X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like most, depends on where I'm going, what I'm doing and the environment in which I'm doing it. I have a wee half a**ed ranch and have use for a both a knife substantial size (say 4"+) on a daily basis a well as a leatherman. I feel kind of nekkid if I don't have them.

I'm not used to a sock knife either but with my great kilt it's a valid choice.
    I agree about leatherman tools as well, to the point I've considered building a sheath for a leatherman sgain dhu--the ultimate in tradition if you consider the tradition was to have the most useful tool in your sock.

As to actual tradition, I'm half inclined to think the sock knife was a decoy to draw attention from the six or eight other knives tucked into armpits, waist bands, sleeves, under clubbed hair and whatnot.

Slàinte mhath!

Freep is not a slave to fashion.
    Aut pax, aut bellum.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freep View Post
    As to actual tradition, I'm half inclined to think the sock knife was a decoy to draw attention from the six or eight other knives tucked into armpits, waist bands, sleeves, under clubbed hair and whatnot.
    To put this in perspetive, there is no evidence of a tradition of the hose worn sgian dubh before the early 1800s.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And seeing we are now having photos of knives, perhaps the Op can request that the thread be moved to the appropriate section of the forum. cheers.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this should live in the "weapons" section in the first place.

Moving.

Father Bill for the Forum Moderators.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    To put this in perspetive, there is no evidence of a tradition of the hose worn sgian dubh before the early 1800s.
    I kind of suspected that as well. Given it's suggestive name, it's not a particularly well hidden knife in that position, nor is it very accessible in a hurry. Looks like it could very well be yet another Victorian affectation. I suspect the dirk with the knife and fork on it falls into the same category. All this of course without having done any research to speak of at all.
    Slàinte mhath!

Aut pax, aut bellum.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as your garter is tight enough and the sgian dubh is tight in its sheath there is little risk of losing it. I have worn one on semi formal and formal occasions, including dances, for over 30 years without any problem. (SWMBO is quick to draw attention to its absence if I omit it, often demanding its inclusion when I deem it not essential.) It is not there for just for decoration though it gets used regularly when worn. When dressed casually for walking or working around the house I prefer a pocket knife clipped to my belt or in a sporran and it never ceases to amaze me how often it gets used each day.
    Last edited by tpa; 14th March 16 at 05:15 PM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I spelled it wrong

I meant Sgian dhub. Sorry for the misspelling. I've given up on the idea of getting one. I might buy a cool dagger, however. Or just carry a sheath knife, that I have. Bone handle, in a leather sheath. We'll see.
    ARIZONA CELT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice little knife.

Freep, you gave me a good idea, upon seeing your knife. I have a this small Puma brand sheath knife:puma knife.jpg I guess I could try it, in my sock, see what happens. The next one is an old Western Cutlery knife: knife.jpg. I think I'll wear it this weekend, on my belt, at the games. (it's not bone handled. I forgot, I don't have that one any more).
    ARIZONA CELT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Michael, I think you meant Sgian Dubh. That little Puma knife would make an OK sgian, but if you want to dedicate it for that purpose, you may want to cut the belt loop off of the sheath, or make another for wearing in the hose top.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weatherhead View Post
    Freep, you gave me a good idea, upon seeing your knife. I have a this small Puma brand sheath knife:puma knife.jpg I guess I could try it, in my sock, see what happens. The next one is an old Western Cutlery knife: knife.jpg. I think I'll wear it this weekend, on my belt, at the games. (it's not bone handled. I forgot, I don't have that one any more).
    They might get all excited by the belt knife and make you leave it in the car. I'd pass on that one. T'other would do as a sock knife depending on size. 6-8" overall for that. I'd think.
    Slàinte mhath!

Aut pax, aut bellum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast