X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, good point. the Puma knife is only about 5" long, end to end. It would work. Just hate to alter the sheath. Then again, I NEVER carry it on my belt, so I prob wouldn't miss it, if I did alter it. I'm so undecided on these things.
    ARIZONA CELT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weatherhead View Post
    yeah, good point. the Puma knife is only about 5" long, end to end. It would work. Just hate to alter the sheath. Then again, I NEVER carry it on my belt, so I prob wouldn't miss it, if I did alter it. I'm so undecided on these things.
    For a test run, just use the sheath it's in. No one will notice most like.
    I do a bit of leather work and whipped that one on mine out from some scrap leather. Though it looks like it, I wasn't drunk when I stitched it, just in a hurry. I'll make another one of these days. (Famous Last Words.)
    Slàinte mhath!

Freep is not a slave to fashion.
    Aut pax, aut bellum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knife sheath

I could alter the sheath, easily enough. The knife fits snugly into it. But as long as I don't cut away any of the leather, where it does fit snugly, it should be ok. Speaking of knives, I've been interested in the Scandi knives, like Mora. You have any experience with those? If so, how about the sharpening? It's different than other knives. I've seen Creek Stewart use them on "Fat Guys in the Woods," on the WeatherChannel. I've always liked a full tang knife. But, have heard good things about the Moras. Heard they hold an edge.
    ARIZONA CELT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always wear one when I'm in Highland clothes, esp. if I'm on a piping job. Sometimes for Scottish Games, I will substitute instead one of my Swiss Army knives. It looks pretty nifty with the insignia showing and it provides all the handy things I might need at an outdoor, all-day event like this, from blades for food preparation to a corkscrew for wine bottles to a "church key" for other bottles, and other vital needs.

I'm sometimes surprised, in fact, no pipe band has tried to obtain a sponsorship from one of the Swiss Army knife manufacturers in exchange for displaying their products in the bands' hosetops!
    "Sola Virtus Nobilitat"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple thoughts...

First, about spelling. Dubh is "black" or "dark" in Gaelic; sgian-dhubh is "black knife" or "dark knife".

Second, my understanding is that the sgian was more of a utility knife than a weapon. I've always questioned this site's insistence on putting sgian discussions in the "weapons" forum.

(Not all knives are weapons, say, Xacto hobby knives, reed knives, paring knives, and so forth.)

About wearing them, due to the current politically-correct phobia about knives of any sort, I almost never wear one. My piping gigs might take me to venues where anything remotely weaponlike is banned.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another alternative , to the sgain shoe, is the sgain brew
    image.jpg
    No problem about carrying a weapon, and whenever someone needs a cold one, you're ready to help
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piper909 View Post
    ...I will substitute instead one of my Swiss Army knives. It looks pretty nifty with the insignia showing and it provides all the handy things I might need at an outdoor, all-day event like this, from blades for food preparation to a corkscrew for wine bottles to a "church key" for other bottles, and other vital needs.
    Concur 100%. The sgian really has been supplanted by the modern folder.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike M. For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The modern folder :-), pre 1799

Granted this is a gunners tool, but it would do just as well in a sporran as a folding knife.

Just my opinion, but if your going to wear a Sgian Dhu, wear a Sgian Duh, if you don't want to, or are worried about offending someone, don't wear one.

You can always direct anyones ire my way as I will be the guy most likely with a full size functional dirk on my belt, and an Armpit knife as well, even in "Modern" clothing, The Basket hilt will probably be in the car at the very least....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123