X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan Donald Ancester (unknown Branch)

Ok I do Understand that this isn't really a Genealogical Site, But I was Hoping that perhaps someone from Clan Donald might have any information on which branch of the clan my ancestor (5th Great Grandfather) was actually from. The Information on my families Scottish roots seems to have been lost over the many generations.

What I do know.

John Donald 1760-1840 Virginia Usa.

Daughter Lucy Donald - Marries Thomas Lyon

I cannot find any information whatsoever about John Donald or more specifically I cannot differentiate between several John's in the USA at the time..

For the record I am interested in all my families Scottish ancestors, Of which my Mothers Family seems to have forgotten. This includes Scott,Anderson,Stevenson,Lyon,Oliphant,Kilgore and Gill at the moment, Probably more.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A common first name and last name makes it rough.

If you have any old folks still alive quiz them for family lore. Ask them if they have any old letters tucked away in a shoe box in the basement or the attic. Genealogy has gone through phases of popularity especially around the turn of the century and the 1860s. You might luck out.

Check out the genealogy section of any small town libraries near where you know ancestors lived and look for a history of the county they lived in for possible mention. If you have the time check out back issues of small town newspapers during the time your known ancestors lived there. Finding info on your known ancestors often gives links to their parents.

Its a crap shoot, and most addictive. Lots and lots of good info still hasn't been posted on line yet. Best clues come from living relatives....family lore is often dead wrong, but it also may provide clues.

Happy kilted ancestor hunting.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be a tad impossible, as the Donald Ancester travels through the Lyon family till it reaches the Holifield (Oliphant) Family and then to me. My mother only knew his G G Grandaughter Lucy Lease Lyons Holifield, which is in turn her grandmother. Any reference is either lost or kept with the Donald or Lyon families Whom I have never met to the best of my knowledge.

That said I am always searching for information on distant ancesters online, Though I am currently tracking a possible paternal link from Gwynedd Township in Pennsylvania. Sadly none of my family kept track of these things so I am trying to reconstruct it myself.