X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jebrooks76 View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I have decided to just bite the bullet, or swab actually, and ordered the 67YDNA marker test. This should help along the lines anyway. 6-8 weeks to get it back once I get it. Can't wait.
    Bear in mind, DNA is only half of the equation. Once you have that, you'll know for a fact who your father is but beyond that you'll have a fair bit of genealogy ahead of you. I used Ancestry.com but would caution that a grain of salt must be taken with what you find.

Slainte
    Slàinte mhath!

Freep is not a slave to fashion.
    Aut pax, aut bellum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freep View Post
    Bear in mind, DNA is only half of the equation. Once you have that, you'll know for a fact who your father is but beyond that you'll have a fair bit of genealogy ahead of you. I used Ancestry.com but would caution that a grain of salt must be taken with what you find.

Slainte
    Yes Sir. I have been working on that for about a week. Have managed to make it to Kilmarnock. Just going through and trying to find any and all actual documents.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike S, if tradition does not interest you,fine, do what you want but please don't poo,poo it for everyone BTW I did not say or imply that the paternal line is the only way to your clan, but it is the traditional, Sure if you cannot find a paternal link then a maternal link is just as traditional, but not to collect a bunch of clans as you apparently believe. As to whom can become Lord of the Isles, a Duke,a Earl, Chief of a clan, then I suggest you acquaint yourself with the laws ofthe U.K.,Laws of Heraldry of England and and Scotland, Cheers
    Last edited by Downunder Kilt; 26th March 16 at 07:36 PM.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Downunder Kilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paternal/maternal whatever.
    Many a Scot bloodline was 'altered' by marriage to a rich female with titles etc. that followed.
    It was so in the Scott line. The Clan Chieftain Richard Scott, the 10th Duke of Buccleuch, would attest to that.
    This is your bloodline, if it so exists, and we follow those tracks more for historical reasons than anything else.
    A sense of from where and when.
    My cousin, David Scott, has been doing family lineage for nigh on to 40 years now back to the 1300's...it is his passion and for me an easy ride...thanks David.
    I've a family tree in the USA that goes back to the 1700's (Jerome Scott) by Scott name to my Grandfather Paul Scott.
    What does this matter to a Scots Scot....not a whit. It is only of worth to me and I've never been interrogated about it at any gathering.
    De Oppresso Liber

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Reiver For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    Mike S, if tradition does not interest you,fine, do what you want but please don't poo,poo it for everyone BTW I did not say or imply that the paternal line is the only way to your clan, but it is the traditional, Sure if you cannot find a paternal link then a maternal link is just as traditional, but not to collect a bunch of clans as you apparently believe. As to whom can become Lord of the Isles, a Duke,a Earl, Chief of a clan, then I suggest you acquaint yourself with the laws ofthe U.K.,Laws of Heraldry of England and and Scotland, Cheers
    I'm fully familiar with the history and customs from centuries ago regarding this topic, and am not in need of any tutelage. My statement and opinions regarding the curious attitude embraced by some in this day and age, and obsolete prerequisites, stands. It apparently ruffled some feathers for some reason, judging by your rather barbed commentary directed at me. As I mentioned, the 21st century interest is in preserving and celebrating the history and memory of one's ancestors, a single clan or many as it finds you, and not as you incorrectly and superciliously phrase it "Collecting a bunch of clans". I have more than sufficient ancestry on both sides to the degree that this argument is purely of an academic nature to me in either instance.

Frankly, most of us who are of Scottish ancestry are the product of common clansmen (where applicable), and not the noblemen who ruled them. The finer points of genetic descendancy were lost upon our progenitors anyway. Clans were originally feudal armies more than actual blood relatives, and the assumption of common surnames was a mere sign of allegiance for most.

FYI,
    Regarding descent through the maternal line for clan affiliation, chieftainship, AND heraldic title, one need look no further that our own Countess of Sutherland, and the future heir to the Earldom and chieftainship, Alistair Charles St Clair Sutherland, Lord Strathnaver. Their separation from the Duke of Sutherland title currently is an entirely different kettle of fish mind you.

Anyhoo,
    It is typical of our ilk that one can barely say "hello" without it turning into a controversy and blood feud. Along similar lines, a friend of mine from Dornoch once jokingly commented that "The Scots would walk across a desert barefooted just to deliver some bad news". Funny AND true.

I've expressed my thoughts on the matter fully. Carry on, and happy Easter.
    Last edited by Mike S; 27th March 16 at 08:35 AM.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank each and everyone of you for taking the time to reapond. I think this journey started because I just basically wanted to know about a side of the family I never new about.
    But my fondness of kilts has gone back for a while, but I had never owned one until about 6 months ago. We were visiting a Pub and they just happened to be selling kilts. I new nothing about what I was buying just wanted it. It ended up being an eBay special but I loved it.
    Before I found this site I had thoughts of do I have a right to wear this. Having red hair and my size helped to cut down on any bad natured chiding. But I wanted to know more about the what's and whys.
    Then a couple of weeks ago all these feelings came together and helped form the feelings I have now.
    I pride in a heritage I have found. Thankfulness in the way everyone has helped here and the warm reception and information. The need to cherish the beliefs and honor what the kilt itself stands for to be able to wear it proudly. Having found an apparent blood link gives me a wonderful feeling of pride bit that also comes from just knowing where your ancestors came from.
    But I am proud to be me and what I am period.

10. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to jebrooks76 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12