X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 from this years run. They seem to be cut a little small .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first 5.11 last week. I measure (or at least I did a couple of weeks ago) 35.5 inches around the navel. I measured 24 inches from navel to mid knee-cap, so for a traditional kilt, that is the drop that is being made for me. When I am at my fighting weight I take a 32-33 size jeans, 32 when I cycle a lot. Lately I have even been tight in a 34, so I dieted a lot and shrank it down.

Anyway, the point is, that traditional measurements for a kilt (excluding seat circumference) are the same for me as they are for the 5.11. I wear the 5.11 at or just below the navel, not the jeans pants line (the hip). After my weight loss it is now a wee bit loose in fact, a situation rectified by a rigger's belt.

So in measuring the same for my 5.11 (which has a 24" drop and the usual 2" difference between waist and pants size), my impression is that they ask for the size of your jeans, but if your jeans size is 34, then they send you a kilt with a waist circumference of 36 inches. The fact that they ask for your pants size is not necessarily an indication that it should be worn at your pants height - indeed for many, that would make the kilt too long; I am 6'1" tall.

But that's just me. A taller person would want to wear it below the navel, or even at the hips, if wearing it at the waist makes it too short.

Of course, people should do whatever works for them. It might just be a coincidence that 5.11 and traditional kilt sizing are identical in my case.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Michael A For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second and third the buy 2 inches smaller thing. I wear 33 and 34 inch waist Utilikilts now and the TDK 32 is just a smidge looser than the 34 Utilikilts.

I have TDKs from the 2nd thru current years production runs and sizing is consistent thru all.

On the handy front. In August, I just escaped the knee brace from a sprained knee in January. The wrap on brace always seemed to need adjusting to keep it in "just the right" place. I would just stop and do it anywhere.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 1st September 16 at 04:39 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12