X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a Hiking Kilt

Hey,

New to the forum and have searched for information on this topic and didn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for a good kilt to hike, run or workout in and still wear around town occasionally. I have both a Utilikilt and a Stumptown and have hiked in both, but would prefer something lighter but durable. I've looked at the Sportkilt Hiking Kilt, USA kilts, UT Kilts, 5.11 Tactical, etc. and it "seems" like for the money I can get a custom sized kilt with microfiber tartan (like) fabric from Sportkilt. I have a Comfy Kilt from them that I wear as a general house kilt and like the quality for what it is. I also know that Sportkilts have a room for growth or downsizing in their kilts. Do the other manufacturers of non-traditional kilts have the same? For instance I'm currently at 37" but I'm losing weight and have another 35lbs to go which could be anywhere between 2 or 4 inches. I don't want to waste money only to have to replace it in 4 or 5 months but I'd like something for the early hiking season here in the Pac Northwest.

Thanks

Leigh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a lightweight technical-ish fabric then Sportkilt is a solid bet. You might also look around and see if you can get your hands on a Mountain Hardwear Elkommando. The fabric that 5.11 uses is, IMO, well suited to hiking also even though it's not as lightweight as microfiber. The TDK and Elkommando are both fairly low yardage too, which is a plus in this case.

None of the others you mentioned would be options in my mind. Hiking and running in the PNW means getting wet, which I wouldn't want to do in canvas, poly/cotton, or poly/viscose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at both the Elkommando and the 5.11 and they are too long for me at 24". I'm short and need 21.5".

Leigh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been hiking, trail running in Missouri, mountaineering in Washington and generally using ElKommando kilts for wearing outside in the garden or yard work. If you put ElKommando in the search you will find quite a few threads discussing this lightweight hiking kilt. I own three and enjoy them quite a bit, especially the two cargo pockets. They are very light weight and quick dry. I also have a breathable nylon kilt I made for running that fits and looks like a traditional kilt. I find it is better with a pack waistband where the ElKommandos hit you at jeans waist level. For snow and winter hiking I use an old Stillwater Standard acrylic kilt. It is much warmer for the bitter cold yet very comfortable. I just checked and REI is stocked with the ElKommando, by summer they will be gone till next spring.

Couple of photos because around here proof is in the photos.

First camp about 6000 ft above tree line Mt Baker.

Checking the snow conditions on Mt Baker

Leading into the trails from the parking lot, Mt Baker.

Up at first camp relaxing, life is good in a kilt.

Hiking at Garden of the Gods in Colorado in a Stillwater wool kilt.

Missouri fall/winter camping, getting ready to trail run.

Trail running in Missouri in my home made running kilt.

View of pleats on running kilt.

ElKommando hiking in Palo Duro canyon Texas.

Bottom line there are lots of ways to go about it but comfort is the key. The ElKommando kilts can be worn with t-shirt and boots etc for the casual pub look. I also wear them with sweaters and calf high socks in the winter.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Elkommando only comes in 24" length. Which is unfortunate, because I liked the look of the kilt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame the Elkommando is too long. I believe the 5.11 is also 24", or maybe 23"?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Freedom Kilts. Steve will work with you to design a kilt perfectly suited to your needs. A Freedom Kilt is usually able to be resized.

Bonus. You live in Seattle. A short ferry ride from Victoria, BC. You can actually go see the Wizard himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Some days you're the bat, some days you're the watermelon.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Mikilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikilt View Post
    Bonus. You live in Seattle. A short ferry ride from Victoria, BC. You can actually go see the Wizard himself.
    Sounds like the Wizard of Oz theme right there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I've been wearing utility kilts for a few years now (even in my wedding) I think I'll look at the lesser expensive options that can be fit to length. Saving my $$$ for a nicer wool kilt in my family tartan for a Christmas gift to myself.

Thanks all, and if anyone knows other options please let me know. Right now I'm leaning towards Sportkilt Hiking kilt or a USA Kilt.

Leigh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For trail running/WOD/serious hiking and backpacking I'd lean towards Sportkilt as my first choice for the light weight and quick drying fabric. If I were going to have several to pick from based on the weather then a casual from USA Kilts would be a great #2.

Do you sew at all? If so then rolling your own with something like Supplex would be an option worth looking at.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast