X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verifying Particular Tartans

I've seen 5 different tartans for my Clan. There are two red and two green and one grey. How do I verify which are true tartans?

Thanks,

Leigh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually a very interesting question.

The Hamilton Tartan - International Tartan Index No. 477 is the one usually considered to be the family Tartan. However it came first from The Vestiarium Scoticum publish by The Brothers Sobieski/Stuart.

Here is the description from The Scottish Tartans Authority -
    " STS notes: First recorded in the Vestiarium Scoticum which was supposedly based on an ancient manuscript now known to have been forged. The original illustration shows the three main stripes in a very dark shade of blue. There is no evidence of a Hamilton tartan prior to the publication of this spectacular work. The authors, the Sobieski Stuart brothers, enjoyed a popular following amongst the Scottish gentry of the period and it is probable that the design can be attributed to Charles Edward Stuart (Allan Hay)."

Although the Hamilton family does have a chief or representative it is not a Highland Clan but a Lowland Family from just SE of Edinburgh.

The other Tartans listed under the name Hamilton are recent.
    ITI no. 5142 is dated 1959 and is listed as the personal Tartan of John Gaylor.
    ITI no. 139 is dated to some time before 2002. This is also known as the Green or Hunting version.
    ITI no. 5141 is dated some time before 1997 and is probably a fashion Tartan for Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.
    ITI no 4043 is dated 1997 and all we know of it is that it was produced for the company Nervesa Moda of Montana, USA .

Most people will recognize the Red design with the blue and white stripes and also the Green version as Hamilton. Both of these Tartans are woven today and readily available.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 31st March 16 at 11:25 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post: