X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) of Y-DNA

Next Generation Sequencing is the most in-depth test currently available for Y-DNA. Like many people I initially took an inexpensive test with 23andMe and was placed in a very large group called R-L21. After a few years I took a more in depth test called the L21 Panel with the Lab YSEQ. This test put me in the group R-L21>DF13*. The * means I was negative for further know mutations in that group. Realizing that very few of German ancestry are in the L21 group and very few Germans get DNA testing I decided to blaze my own trail and take Y-Elite 2.0 from Full Genome Corporation (FGC).

What I got out of the test was my terminal SNP, that is the last mutation I share with another tester, and a list of private mutations (SNPs), those I don't yet share with anybody. I shared my results with The Big Tree and they can be seen at the link below. I am happy to answer any questions about NGS or Y-DNA testing in general.

http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php?blockID=1254

I am on the far left along with a Welshman with whom I share nine private SNPs, and a dark stranger. Scroll down to see the names and countries of origin. If you scroll across the bottom you will find a few other Germans scattered amongst the "Celts". Portions of L21 are believed to be associated with the Bell Beaker Culture and proto-Celtic languages. The origin of these Y-DNA groups is hotly debated but one popular theory is they originated along the Rhine and perhaps the upper Danube and were scattered during the Great Migrations.
    Last edited by McElmurry; 1st April 16 at 10:21 AM.