X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ScotWeb design tool is pretty good about letting you know what size your sett will be based on what you're doing, and whether or not it's a good size for kilting. Bear in mind, however, that it bases its estimates on their heaviest wool option, so the sett will be smaller if you go for something lighter weight. But if you're registering the tartan, you're actually registering the ratio, not the specific thread count, so when Marton Mills made mine in PV, they upped the thread count to make the sett a more reasonable size for kilting (I designed it as a 6" sett, what they produced after upping the thread count is a 4.5" sett).

If you're using ScotWeb to produce the tartan/kilt for you, they will give you an option of three palettes to choose from, two of which will have very little resemblance to what you design, but are quite lovely. Don't obsess about particular shades, because they will, necessarily, change in production.

Having now made a kilt, I don't recommend designing an asymmetric tartan. I seriously debated it and am now very glad I didn't.

Those are the life lessons from having done this that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more...

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KyleAisteach For This Useful Post: