X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Grainreaper is heading to Atlanta, GA. May 16-20 possible gathering?

I'm heading to Atlanta for work training may 16th through 20th and was hoping to meet a few of the rabble from the area while out there, I get that it's a weekday gathering but I can bring my kilt and kit along should the opportunity arise to meet up. Please post up thoughts and ideas, I'm heading out for training with Mitsubishi. I will add my hotel and location as soon as I get further details.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lithia springs, GA is where I will be

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be happy to meet while you are here! Our kilt nights have been pretty uneven, sometimes we've done weekdays, sometimes weekends. We usually try to meet at either a brewery for a beer tasting, or a bar/restaurant.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wareyin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will I be close to somewhere? I'm staying at the country inn suites 960 W. Pointe ct.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not aware of any breweries in Lithia Springs, nor have I ever stopped there for a bar or restaurant. I do drive through it every day on my way to work, though, so I don't feel that it is particularly far from anywhere. In Atlanta, every drive is at least 30 mins, often more, to get anywhere.

What would you be interested in, and I can see about getting more information? So far, we've met at a couple of local midsize craft breweries, but there are several more that we could tour, such as Sweetwater, or Second Self. You aren't far from my favorite local chain of bar/restaurants, Taco Mac in Douglasville, although that is their smallest location, with only 57 beers on draft. You are about 15 minutes from downtown Atlanta, with a huge variety of places to meet, as well.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wareyin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm always up for a brewery/brewpub! I'd imagine that by the time I'm out there I may want to leave the heavy wool kilt and tweed jacket at home and opt for more lightweight kilt options?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrainReaper View Post
    I'm always up for a brewery/brewpub! I'd imagine that by the time I'm out there I may want to leave the heavy wool kilt and tweed jacket at home and opt for more lightweight kilt options?
    Mid May is likely to be in the high 70's, so a heavy jacket would probably be suffocating. My main kilt, even in the winter, is a 13oz one. Of course, I'm still new at this, so take that with a grain of salt.

I will ask for other opinions on meeting places at our kilted lunch, today. I've heard of a couple of nice brewpubs around, but I haven't tried any, yet. Do you have any idea what your free time would be? On a weekday, those of us who have gotten together tend to do so around 5-6pm.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two 16 oz kilts - 8 yard and 6 yard - and I don't find either one uncomfortable in the Summer. But I have not worn a kilt in the Summer when I'd be spending a lot of time outdoors, either.

Actually I just remembered. I did spend an entire day wandering around a Renn Faire in Pennsylvania, in Summer, in the 8 yard kilt, and I was just fine.
    Last edited by Creag; 10th April 16 at 08:41 AM.
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to heading out there, I just need to carefully pack my kit... Bringing my Albannach PV casual kilt from Rocky, maybe a vest to go with a cotton button down, a tie perhaps...

I was going to bring a wool 5 yarder, a tweed jacket, waistcoat, etc but I'm thinking I will feel as comfortable as a tamale in a steamer wearing that much wool.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try to make it out as well provided I am not travelling for work.

I have two 16oz 8yd kilts I wear year round. I have worn one at the Grandfather Mountain Highland games where the temp gets into the 80's with no problem but I also have two casual kilts from Rocky as well though I have not worn one to a kilt night.

Look forward to you coming down and enjoying some southern hospitality.

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to bilgee2 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast