X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should also be noted that single malt used to be the "moonshine" of Scotland whereas blending was done to increase quality and flavor profiles. The cult of single malt is only a relatively recent phenomena. This said... I will head home and have a wee dram of each!

IW
    Vestis virum reddit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Now, now....
    Blended malt whisky is defined as pure malt whisky from more than one distillery, as opposed to single malt which is a blend of malts from one distillery.
    There are fine examples of blended scotch whisky - think Johnny Walker Green Label.
    Unless you are drinking single cask whisky, you are drinking blended whisky, and even these are usually "blended" with water to dilute them to Closer to 40 % alc./vol. and often Carmel colouring is added to achieve what the marketer thinks is the most pleasing look.
    Slainte...
    Well, thanks for the Wikipedia lesson. But as stated and qualified "my preference.."..

Best,
    Fuzz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, now....
    Blended malt whisky is defined as pure malt whisky from more than one distillery, as opposed to single malt which is a blend of malts from one distillery.
    There are fine examples of blended scotch whisky - think Johnny Walker Green Label.
    Unless you are drinking single cask whisky, you are drinking blended whisky, and even these are usually "blended" with water to dilute them to Closer to 40 % alc./vol. and often Carmel colouring is added to achieve what the marketer thinks is the most pleasing look.
    Slainte...
    Liam, I believe your definition is that of a "vatted malt." Blended scotch whisky can and often does contain grain alcohol made from wheat, corn, rice, or other. Blends can be more than 90% grain alcohol. Of course there are plenty of good ones, And I drink more blended than single malt by a long way. 1st choice is the Famous Grouse. I find Johnnie Walker Black or Chivas to be a treat, any day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dughlas mor View Post
    Liam, I believe your definition is that of a "vatted malt." Blended scotch whisky can and often does contain grain alcohol made from wheat, corn, rice, or other. Blends can be more than 90% grain alcohol. Of course there are plenty of good ones, And I drink more blended than single malt by a long way. 1st choice is the Famous Grouse. I find Johnnie Walker Black or Chivas to be a treat, any day.
    I think you will find that the term "vatted malt" is no more, and blended malt is the correct term.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally the only time I add water is with some of the cask strength scotches and then at about 1/4 water per volume of scotch at the absolute high end of water. For normal blended scotches I rarely add any water, and never ice.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will find that the term "vatted malt" is no more, and blended malt is the correct term.
    Yes, they are the same thing. I was more wanting to point out that blended scotch contains grain alcohol, not necessarily a bad thing. Slainte Mhath.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dughlas mor View Post
    Yes, they are the same thing. I was more wanting to point out that blended scotch contains grain alcohol, not necessarily a bad thing. Slainte Mhath.
    It is my understanding that the term vatted malt has not been allowed since 2009, although prior to that it would have meant the same thing. I would agree that the addition of grain alcohol can positively impact the resultant blend. It all depends upon what the blender is trying to create.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, then. Wasn`t aware that the term had been disallowed.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now, now....
    Slainte...
    Good point, although Fuzz was likely referring to blended (grain) scotch whiskies. Like Fuzz, I also find blended grain whiskies undrinkable (and the caramel coloring business is pure abomination). I even refrain from using them to make Rob Roys, etc., and I've yet to taste any blended/pure malts (formerly known as vatted malts) currently produced that truly impresses--but of course I'm willing to keep trying, if only to appease the soul of my paternal grandfather, who, apparently, was a helluva bartender...
    Last edited by DyerStraits; 28th April 16 at 07:12 PM.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DyerStraits For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blended malt scotch whiskey: a mixture of single malted barley scotch whiskies. No non-barley whisky allowed.

Blended scotch whisky: a mixture of malted barley & non-barley whiskies.
    Tulach Ard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast