X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Croft View Post
    I agree with the other posters — if you aren't looking to spend any extra money right now, you should be just fine folding your kilt and jacket and hang 'em up when you get there.

If you decide to invest in accessories for future travel, our Kilt Carrier Garment Bag and Kilt Hanger Set works great. I searched for years to find a flat-top garment bag that would accommodate our 20" kilt hanger.
    Joe, I've already got your kilt hangers! And I like that bag too! I'm not sure when I will be in the market but that's on the list for sure! Maybe tuck a bag in your wares if you will be at the Itasca Highland games this year (if I've nothing else pressing to buy). I hope to see you there this June!
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The jacket folding trick is pretty sweet! It's added to my list along side the super cool shirt folding video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6n3lq3PhAU&sns=em

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrainReaper View Post
    Joe, I've already got your kilt hangers! And I like that bag too! I'm not sure when I will be in the market but that's on the list for sure! Maybe tuck a bag in your wares if you will be at the Itasca Highland games this year (if I've nothing else pressing to buy). I hope to see you there this June!
    Glad you have a hanger already. Sorry we're going to miss Itasca this year . We're hoping to have another crew on the road next year so me can pick it up again. Good luck in your travels.
    Joseph Croft FSA Scot
    Owner/Kilt Maker

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/

Whiskey to a Scotchman is as innocent as milk to the rest of the human race.
    Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in DC this past week, and due to some unexpectedly cold, clammy weather, I wound up porting my kilt around in my backpack rather than wearing it. I just set it flat the way I'd wear it, then carefully folded over "hot dog" style and down once "hamburger" style, quartering it. It was fine when I pulled it out of my bag after almost twelve hours of being humped from monument to monument, and from museum to museum.

Writing this, I have no idea why I bothered to carry it with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Croft View Post
    Sorry we're going to miss Itasca this year .
    Sorry to hear that. Will you make it to Waukesha?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waukesha

Yes, we'll be at Waukesha next weekend. See you there!
    Joseph Croft FSA Scot
    Owner/Kilt Maker

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/

Whiskey to a Scotchman is as innocent as milk to the rest of the human race.
    Mark Twain

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Due to carry on limits my suit bag was nixed in favor of just a small suitcase, I tri folded it like I was wearing it and then folded it in half lengthwise and in half again, needed some steam to get it looking good again, worked good I guess.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it looks like the original question has been well answered, may I use the thread to ask another question about kilt travel?

What is the best way to pack it for an air shipment overseas in which it could take several weeks between packing and its arrival and me being able to unpack and hang properly? Also where the destination is a hot, humid country and whatever it goes through on the way/wherever it is delayed (airports, customs, etc.). Roll tightly? I assume the answers might be different between "might be packed for hours or at most a couple days" and "might be packed for a month or maybe even more." (I simply won't have the room in my luggage that I am carrying with me-- my carried baggage will be reserved for many other essentials that I need to have on hand before the shipment in which I would send the kilt, like everyday clothes.) It will be traveling with some household stuff (kitchenware, etc.) and probably other clothing. I will have a moving company but I assume I will need to advise them on the best way to pack some of my specialty stuff, such as a kilt.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I flew from Edinburgh to Beijing, then took a 6 hour ride on the bullet train with my kilt packed and I never had a crease.

I got a pair of old tights from my lass, cue a leg off, and rolled the kilt tightly and neatly (as you would a camping sleeping mat), then pulled the tight leg around the kilt. I seem to remember rolling the pleats on the inside, that way they don't crease out and about but experiment.

I travelled from Yangzhou, to Nanjing, Hangzhou and Shanghai and my kilt never creased a bit. The key is the tights, it stops it from unbunching.

Good luck.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DDL For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 kilt roll bags from ScotWeb that I use for storage of my wool tartans. I have used them frequently for travel. Not only is there a bag, but also a stiff canvas with elastic straps for rolling the kilt. In a pinch I have use yard (leaf) sized plastic bags instead of the canvas liner. I've also used the leaf bag around the canvas roll (but inside the bag) for when I strap the case onto the back of my motor bike in inclement weather.
    Upon arrival, a brief hanging in the bath with a hot shower and any wrinkles are gone.
    At home most of my kilts are hung with a pants hanger which clips along a wide portion of the waist band. I also have a 4 clip hanger from ScotWeb which I use.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast