X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How should I pack my kilt, etc?

This mid month I'm going to be traveling for work and will be meeting up with fellow X-markers for a kilt night, my question is how to pack a wool kilt and the trimmings for air flight... I was thinking of a suit bag, twin coat hangers with the clips, and roll my hose and garters and pack em in my sporran. I may bring a jacket as well, I was thinking of just hanging the jacket and shirt on the same hangers as the kilt and try to not fold it too badly

I'm trying to avoid spending money that would be better spent on arrival as opposed to on the journey

Am I on the right track or is ther a better way?

Another thought is to bring my PV casual from Rocky instead as its about bombproof and should travel well.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stillwater kilts has a nice, and sturdy, jacket and kilt hanger combination. I have one and have used it for travel before. I have also rolled my kilt or kilts and packed them in a rope bag. The rope bag then goes into my carry on or check in bag. You can also roll a kilt and pull it into a woman's stocking. There are many ways to avoid buying a fancy kilt carry bag if you just use your imagination.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I travel, I often wear the items that are hardest to pack. In the case of the kilt of course you would need to pack all the pointy things in checked luggage.

Failing that, I have often rolled my kilt and put it into an appropriately sized tripod case - as in camera tripod. Cheap, and generally available at your photography shop. (Take your pre-rolled kilt with you to test for sizes.) It has travelled superbly well that way.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 1st June 16 at 05:43 PM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rolling it up is a good suggestion, as others have already noted. I just hang it when Inget to my room. Usually it straightens itself out just fine. If it needs some extra help to remove wrinkles, hanging in the restroom with the shower going for a few minutes is helpful.

Although, I find that the wrinkles work their way out just wearing it anyway.

Enjoy!

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Spartan Tartan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and as an aside, it's good to see you posting more again, Spartan!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually go with a suit bag, especially if I am including a jacket. Generally, I don't have problems with wrinkles but a hotel iron used as a steamer will fix that (before anybody says anything, I am not suggesting pressing).

However, I have rolled kilts in a suitcase, with success, just as I have folded jackets - one trick with packing jackets is to turn the collar up and fold the labels in before folding. You'll get fewer creases.

Enjoy your trip!
    St. Andrew's Society of Toronto

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JohntheBiker For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have noted, I roll my kilts and hang them upon arrival. I also take along a hand steamer.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fortunate to have a carry on case that accepts my kilt folded as if using the double-hangar method. Sometimes I will fold it one more time. I hadn't considered rolling it, but that would work, too. For my jacket, I use this method for packing, and when wearing use this method to put any suit jacket in overhead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7ZR6BsAT30. I don't have a SD, so no packing of a blade. I've never had any problem with kilt pin being an issue, though I'm careful where and how it is located in the sporran in the carry on bag.

Other times, I just wear the kilt. Velcro fastened flashes and kilt pin goes into sporran along with belt/chain tucked in for scanning.

Another other response to "How Should I Pack My Kilt?:
    You should pack your kilt with a confident, humble man. A fellow comfortable with himself and his surroundings. Preferably a gentleman, though even the slight scoundrel is acceptable. Kilts should not be packed with timidity, yet not bluster. A kilt packed well does not bring notice to itself, but to the fine fellow donning it.

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never knew the jacket trick. Right on!

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Carrier Garment Bag

I agree with the other posters — if you aren't looking to spend any extra money right now, you should be just fine folding your kilt and jacket and hang 'em up when you get there.

If you decide to invest in accessories for future travel, our Kilt Carrier Garment Bag and Kilt Hanger Set works great. I searched for years to find a flat-top garment bag that would accommodate our 20" kilt hanger.
    Joseph Croft FSA Scot
    Owner/Kilt Maker

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/

Whiskey to a Scotchman is as innocent as milk to the rest of the human race.
    Mark Twain

19. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Celtic Croft For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast