X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casual Kilt: How durable?

Ever since I got my Casual last year, my first Tartan kilt, I've been treating it like formalwear. Renn Faire it goes with garb, for concerts it goes with dark tee shirts or polos, I even dressed it up for a Tartan Ball with a vintage Prince Charlie. No one commented on the lack of pleats, I know it's meant to be the jeans of kilts, I still had a great time. For martial arts tournaments or messier festivals, I use my old 5.11 black beater.

Opening my e-mail this morning to a lovely blurb from the company about Highland Game season...and the Casual is listed as durable enough for the Games, tough mudders, hiking...As some one training for a Spartan run for charity currently, I looked over at my Casual with its kilt hanger in my closet next to my tuxedos and I'm wondering if I've been treating this kilt the wrong way entirely. For those who have put this type of kilt through its paces, just what all can I do wearing one without worrying about stitching or permanent damage?

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Allow me to give you an example from one of our customers. He sent me the first 2 pics, then I asked him to wash the kilt and send me one more (the last pic). Here's a USA Kilts' Casual kilt, worn in a tough mudder, during, immediately after, then washed:

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly? Wash it when it gets dirty enough that it stands up on it's own and call it a day. I also prefer not to put my kilts through the dryer, but that's just me. I've been fairly rough on my semi-trad with no ill effects. A kilt that's sewn well and made from quality fabric, which USA Kilts definitely are, is going to tolerate a lot without any issues. Unless you're deliberately trying to tear out pleats I wouldn't give the stitching a second thought.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I shrank out of it, I wore my USAK casual in pretty much any context where I would wear a pair of utilitarian pants; hiking, to the pub, etc. and without much worry about staining or wear; I mean, I never went out of my way to dirty it up but I could always just put it on and forget about it, unlike my 16oz wool tartan kilt that I was constantly vigilant about.

In the 2 years I had it I would say I washed it maybe half a dozen times - I never put it in the dryer (IIRC that is not recommended because it destroys the fabric's teflon stain protection) and honestly, after the spin cycle it was usually felt about 90% dry already; all that remained was to spread it out on a couple of towels, neaten up the pleats, and let it finish drying overnight. The only visible wear that kilt ever got was a tiny bit of pilling in the sporran area, and that's probably because I was lazy and never got around to swapping my chain for a belt. I really miss that kilt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make no apologies for mine. It's the only kilt I have, and quite frankly it's the only one I'm going to have for the foreseeable future. I don't have an extra 500 bucks handy for an 8 yarder, even though I'd like to get one eventually. I wear mine for everything, and unless folks who see you are very familiar with kilts, they won't know the difference.

I pipe funerals, veterans events, and other things. I wore it to a concert, and weekly for Kilted Fridays at work. My opinion is that if a guy is on a tight budget, it's the way to go. Super easy care, I don't even think about it anymore. You've got it, enjoy it!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 416 Rigby For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a USAK Semi-trad from 2012 that the hem is coming out a bit in the back. While it still fits (with add-on tab extenders), I've been waffling on replacing it in kind or getting a Casual in the same tartan. The one I have has been worn in all social situations: casually, with argyle jacket, with PC jacket, and the replacement will be also.

I've also considered using it to rationalize a drive to Rocky's shop from Annapolis, MD (about an hour and a half) to have it fixed by the maker. But I digress.
    "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."
    Just my 2¢ worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first casual (Albannach Tartan) is going on 6 years and God knows how many wearings and washings (line dry.) Still looks brand new, just a little softer. It has been worn for everything from Ren Faires to funerals. The Velcro, which I expected would be the first thing to go, still works great.
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to dutchy kilted For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have 8 or so USAK casual kilts, the oldest is going on 11 years old and still in the regular rotation. And that is after wearing the USAK's daily to work for a while. I could almost wish they WEREN'T so durable, I would have an excuse to replace some of them!

You and the crew make a great product @RockyR
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casual kilt durability

I have had no issues with my Casual Kilt which is now my preferred kilt to wear hiking. The material is durable and it also dresses up pretty well. I tend to wear it dressed up around Christmas since I have the Celtic Nations tartan which has a great deal of Red and Green. Here is a picture of me wearing it while hiking.
    Chaps
    U.S. Navy Chaplain and Presbyterian Clergyman
    You cannot antagonize and influence at the same time. John Knox

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Chaps For This Useful Post: