X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

military jackets with utility kilts

Hello all, I have been reading several threads on this subject. But I had an idea and wanted to get some opinions on it. I do like the ike style jacket and the British battle dress as well. But I was wondering.... would a panzer wrap in dark grey or black look good with a modern kilt? Now I in no way support the nazi party. But I think that jacket would look sharp. Ofcourse without any german military insignia of any type on it. I just think the lines of it would look good. Let me know what you think. I wouldn't want to offend anyone by wearing it if it's in bad taste.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160919_192912.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	29141
    Last edited by harmon; 22nd September 16 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I googled and saw two types of Panzer "Wrap" jackets. One had buttons that show when closed, the other had the buttons hidden.
    My "Ike" jacket has buttons that are hidden and are difficult to open when wet. I like the clean line of the jacket front and put up with that nuance. I expect these jackets will have pluses and minuses, but the cut (waist length) will work well with a traditional kilt. They might be a tad short for newer kilt designs that hang on the hips instead of across the navel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a cool style of jacket so if you like it, why not? Don't sweat over someone being offended or taking you for a Nazi. Do keep in mind the length of the jacket and how high you wear your kilt, like Tarheel mentioned, but otherwise go for it!
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I wear my UT kilt at or right below my navel, otherwise the hem is right at the bottom of my knees. I have always thought the ww2 german uniforms were very good looking. I have two great coats and Jack boots that I wear all the time. As I said. I was just concerned about offending anyone as the black panzer is the ss uniform. But I have never been called a nazi in my great coats so why not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ike jacket

I went to a couple of antique malls by my moms house and found several ike jackets. Most were less than 35 bucks. Took me going through 6 of them to find one that fit. It's a 38 xl. Made June 9 1944 according to the tag in the inside pocket. Still want a panzer wrap too. But am very excited to find something like this. A piece of history.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harmon View Post
    Thanks. I wear my UT kilt at or right below my navel, otherwise the hem is right at the bottom of my knees. I have always thought the ww2 german uniforms were very good looking. I have two great coats and Jack boots that I wear all the time. As I said. I was just concerned about offending anyone as the black panzer is the ss uniform. But I have never been called a nazi in my great coats so why not?
    I am old enough to remember those uniforms actually being worn, by prisoners of war and what those uniforms stood for do offend me. However time moves on as do generations, so inevitably the pain, the tears, unimaginable cruelty and suffering that those uniforms represent is dulled by the passing of the years, as probably it should. BUT, we must not forget, ever. Personally, I would prefer those uniforms be either seen in a museum, or burnt and don't think that they are appropriate attire for the general public to wear at anytime or any place.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th May 16 at 02:33 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is precisely why I started this thread. I was wanting to know if that jacket would be considered inappropriate attire. I have asked several people for their opinions on this subject. And I appreciate your honesty about your view of that uniform. My grandfather and his brother were both drafted in ww2. The interesting part is that their last name was Hess. Their father was an aircraft mechanic in ww1. Their grandfather immigrated from Germany in 1892. And changed his name from Von Hess to just Hess. I had family fighting on both sides of both world wars. So I have never really viewed the uniform as evil. I just saw soldiers doing their jobs. Now, I don't support racism or facism or any kind of tyranny. But I also wouldn't want to offend anyone with my apparel. Although. There are some who are offended by the idea of men wearing "skirts".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the jacket is from the Nazi era, then wearing it is not like dressing up in some costume at a battle reconstruction or Renn Faire. It is an artefact, however stylish, from probably the most evil regime the world has ever known and still in living memory for many who suffered. German people would be very hurt and offended to see it worn, especially for so trivial a reason. There is so much smart clothing to choose from, why pick this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. I have decided not to get the reproduction panzer wrap. I bought an ike jacket yesterday. I posted this thread to get opinions, and got some very deep ones. I did not want the jacket because of its nazi connection. Though without any insignia on it, it would just be a sharp looking jacket. But as I stated I do not wish to be offensive to anyone. So I suppose my question has been answered. Thanks for the input.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to harmon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all, it's been a while since I posted. As a few of you know, I had a mini stroke a while ago. All is well, some nerve damage but nothing too serious. Anyway. I finally gained enough weight back that my kilt doesn't fall off anymore. Here it is with the ike jacket that I settled on. I would appreciate any feed back as to how it looks or what needs changed/ fixed. Thanks all.
    Last edited by harmon; 20th September 16 at 08:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast