X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kingussie Pleated Kilt in Steward Old Sett, Ancient Review

As I start this review let me first state that the road to receive the kilt was a bit bumpy to say the least. John at Keltoi has suffered ill health and a family emergency that have put his queue on hold in recent months. I try to be tolerant of such situations as they are out of the control of the tailor and most unfortunate. However, the only caveat to this is that I do expect communication from the tailor, not specific details of course but a simple email stating that there are unforeseen extenuating circumstances such as hospitalizations, family illness or emergency, problems with the weaver, shipping delays, natural disaster etc. that prevent the commissioned item from being started in the agreed time frame or being finished in the given time frame. That along with the option of a refund so that the customer may seek other options I see as only ethical.

Having said that, John was spotty at best with information. The kilt was not started at the notified time. I was quoted when the kilt was commissioned that work would begin the last week in March. Construction time was quoted to be a week. John also stated that he would confirm measurements as the time to start the kilt came sooner. Further, he stated that fabric would be ordered well in advance so as to start on time. As the time drew near I heard nothing from John. In hind sight I should have started a PayPal dispute at this point but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I consistently check here on Xmarks to see of any updates to why he was not responding to emails and found a thread that said others were having the same troubles. It was later found that he was suffering ill health but that he would make good on his current orders.

Around this time, I heard from John finally. He stated that he had been hospitalized with bacterial meningitis. This was horrible to hear as I am working as a Critical Care RN and know full well the devastating effects of this disease. When he contacted me he stated that he would be delayed approximately a week and would begin on the kilt very soon. Not a problem, I can wait a week especially when the situation is so dire.

The week came and went. John was not answering emails again. Then abruptly he was again. There was no reason given at this point why we were delayed again but at least there was communication about pleating options etc. Then about a month after the initial completion date John dropped a bombshell. House of Edgar sent the wrong tartan. John promised that the turnaround would be quick this time and he should start on the kilt very soon… Then nothing for another month. Countless emails went unanswered, calls to the number listed on his website rang without answer or machine.

I see that I have digressed in the review of the actual product however, suffice it to say I started a PayPal dispute and contacted various other tailors about a commission when I got an expected refund. Then out of the blue John sent an email saying he had finished the kilt and that he had an emergency that exacerbated his fragile health and that he would be mailing the kilt that weekend. I even got a picture of the pleats as proof and a promise of a tracking number. But again no emails or tracking numbers. Par for the course by this time… A week after the kilt was supposed to be finished I received a tracking number stating that the kilt was not shipped when promised but at least it was on its way!

Now I have the kilt in hand. I must say that it is beautiful to look at. The pleating style that I picked (Kingussie) is an amazing pleating style. I love the aesthetics of it. I chose the major blue block as my center box pleat and the minor black boxes with the red stripe in the center as the fanning knife pleats. I am happy that I did so, the kilt is gorgeous!

The fit is spot on, even though John never confirmed my sizing information. I chalk that up to luck that it does not need alterations. The feel of the kilt is great. This is my first bespoke kilt and I must say it is like nothing else.

The kilt came in a clothing bag with a hanger to hang up in my closet if I choose and a basic kilt pin. I can find no faults whatsoever with the construction of the kilt.

However, and this is a big however. The smell of the kilt is as though it is second hand and the previous owner was a chain smoker. When I opened the box all I could smell was cigarettes. This is SO DISAPPOINTING! I do not judge anyone on their life choices. If one smokes that is their right to choose to do so. However, I find it very unprofessional that one, such as a tailor would smoke whilst making clothing. Especially when it is unknown if the recipient is a smoker as well. The worst part is that it smells as though Febreeze has been used to potentially remove the cigarette smell from the cloth.

So to sum it up. John is an amazing tailor with great skills in sewing and creating kilts. His customer service leaves much to be desired! But the thing that sinks everything is the smoke smelling kilt that I had to wait two months over the promised due date to receive. Unacceptable in my book. If I knew that I could count on John with Keltoi Gaelic Clothing to make it right I would contact him, but at this point I am done doing business with him. Any advice from the rabble on how to remove the smell would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the time you spent to read my long winded review of John at Keltoi. I hope that his customer service gets better and that his business does not suffer.
    Last edited by pauljsharp; 1st June 16 at 06:00 PM.
    To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -E. E. Cummings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wool can be washed in cool water. Steve has cleaned kilts in the bathtub. Use a pH neutral gentle soap and lay the kilt flat in the bathtub to soak in slightly sudsy water. Then gently squeeze while draining off the water, and replace the water with clear water for the rinse. Do not agitate the kilt! Remove it gently so that the wool is not distorted and wrap in a very fluffy towel to blot out excess water. You should then lay the kilt flat to dry on a surface where it can get air circulation.

Are the basting stitches still present in the kilt? If so, don't remove them before doing this. If not, you can either rebaste before the bath, or be prepared to do a lot of basting and pressing after the cleaning.

I cannot guarantee that this will get all of the smell gone, but it should certainly help.

The other option is to talk to a local dry cleaner who has experience with kilts.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KiltedKnome For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hanging it outdoors or a very light spray with "Fabreeze", might also do the trick.
    when you have a chance post a picture.
    Cheers...
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Hanging it outdoors or a very light spray with "Fabreeze", might also do the trick.
    when you have a chance post a picture.
    Cheers...
    I have pictures but they seem to be failing to upload. I will shoot them again and post them.
    To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -E. E. Cummings