X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Would they mind if you wore it? Tricky that. Ask the Chief. If you were asking me, well personally speaking if you are not of the Clan then I would rather you didn't.
    Don't worry Jock. If I wore that tartan, it would burn me like Hercules's shirt.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    Don't worry Jock. If I wore that tartan, it would burn me like Hercules's shirt.
    We would not want that to happen. Would we?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well the MacLeods of Dunvegan might qualify. I am unsure of the then Chief's(MacLeod of MacLeod) religious beliefs, but I suspect he may have been RC? However he famously refused to join the Jacobite cause in 1745. I have no idea of the religious make up of the Clan MacLeod at that time, but my general understanding is there would be a mixture of denominations.

Do they have a nice tartan? Yes they do. MacLeod of Harris. I am biased though!

Would they mind if you wore it? Tricky that. Ask the Chief. If you were asking me, well personally speaking if you are not of the Clan then I would rather you didn't.
    I had missed this post initially some how. But it happens to relate to something I've been doing some research on personally. While currently my research has been limited to secondary source materials, I'll recount what I understand to have been the situation at this time.

At the time of the 1745 rising Norman MacLeod was the chief of Clan MacLeod. He raised men in support of the Government and took part in the battle of Battle of Inverurie on the side of those loyal to Great Britain. Clan MacLeod did not participate in Culloden, save for the MacLeods of Raasay. After Culloden, the MacLeods under Norman's command along with the MacDonalds of Sleat and the Earl of Loudoun's men were ordered to march into the Highlands and raze the lands of those who had supported the Jacobite cause. This eventually included the lands of Raasay.

Now I can't say what religion Norman MacLeod practiced. What I can find is that he was a member of Parliament and as far as Dunvegan was concerned he spent little time there. This would lead me to suspect that, like many of the chiefs since the Statutes of Iona in 1609, he had been educated in an English-speaking Protestant school. But that may not have changed his religion and certainly had little bearing on the daily life of the rank and file of the clan.

My understanding is that the MacLeods of Raasay had been a branch of the MacLeods of Lewis who by 1745 were without a Clan Chief. So far I have encountered little information about the MacLeods of Raasay. and so it is harder to discern the religious inclination of the MacLeods of Raasay during this time.

While perhaps not specifically what the OP was looking for here, I thought I would recount this, as to me this exemplifies the complication of the 1745 Jacobite movement. As stated by others it was more political than religious in nature. While religion might have had a causal relationship with how one was politically inclined, it certainly wasn't the only factor accounted for.

I will add the caveat that this is not my primary area of study for historical matters, I am familiar with it, but my research is certainly not complete and driven by a desire to learn something of the ancestry that appears to link to the MacLeods of Raasay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NPG,
    I'm ashamed to say that I had never heard of the Battle of Inverurie despite living about 10 miles from the town. In case anyone is interested in the warfare of the time, here is a link. They must have marched more or less past my front door!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...verurie_(1745)
    Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 14th June 16 at 10:16 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    As stated by others it was more political than religious in nature. While religion might have had a causal relationship with how one was politically inclined, it certainly wasn't the only factor accounted for.
    Indeed so, but we have to remember that people just didn't see things in terms of our clear break between secular and religious, with religion being above all a matter of personal belief. It was often a matter of social identity.

"Divine right of kings" is as much a religious belief as a political one - and a very bad religious belief too and a good reason why we now separate the two approaches.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not intend to highjack the tread but want to add this map below. Geography (in relation to troop movements, commerce and neighboring clans) also must be considered with who chose allegiance to what force during that period. The path of the British did not follow the lochs (and Highland routes) north of Glasgow but travelled west then north to Culloden. Probably to avoid detection and clans that opposed the invading force. This does not aid the OP in his question but is strictly a view of military strategy that sometimes considers the sympathy or resistance of the surrounding native people.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123