X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Hello

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello

So I own a kilt pin and I've pinned it to my kilts a bunch of times but I still can't help but ask where is the place to put the pin at?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might find some pix here http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...lt-pins-55946/ or just use the advanced search for kilt pins and you'll find a few threads there.

Generally, one or two inches in and the same up... but there are a lot of opinions about it, and don't forget that there are also some really good reasons not to wear one at all. It IS optional.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further to that, here's a past thread on exactly that topic:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...acement-33251/

and some discussion on the option:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...uestion-89127/
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being that this is the "historical kilt wear" forum, let's go back in time.

Here are the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada in WWII. As you can see their placement is based on the tartan, the pin placed upon a vertical line, and between two horizontal lines.

Here's a Gordon Highlanders officer. You can see the pin is placed upon the line, but higher, centred upon a vertical line. (Note the very popular, though non-regulation, way of unfastening the collar hooks of the Battle Dress jacket, and wearing a collar and tie underneath.)

Why look at military photographs? For two reasons
    1) the army tends to hold on to traditional ways of wearing things; many old traditional ways of wearing civilian Highland Dress are nowadays upheld only in the army
    2) the army has uniform methods of wearing things; a civilian might put his pin in a different place every time he pins it on.

Since this is the "historical kilt wear" forum I'll point out that kilt pins haven't been around all that long. In the mid-19th century they were still fairly uncommon. Only in the 20th century did they start to be regarded as a standard feature of Highland Dress.

I've always taken the long view with Highland Dress, and besides I've pared down my outfit by jettisoning everything not essential. I almost never wear a kilt pin.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th June 16 at 05:04 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: