X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Night August 7, 2016 -- Victoria, British Columbia

During the week of Kilt Kamp (see this sub-forum: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...56#post1311956), an evening at The Fernwood Inn has been planned. If XMarkers in the area would also be interested in attending, you are definitely welcome. I have made a reservation starting for 7 pm (on Sunday, August 7). The Fernwood Inn is in Victoria (http://fernwoodinn.com/).

Please let me know if you plan on attending, so I can alert the restaurant staff to ensure adequate seating.
    Last edited by KiltedKnome; 29th June 16 at 07:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be there!

Steve and Bobbie, are there any plans to get together the last night of Kamp as well? My husband is coming in that afternoon, and would enjoy getting to meet the Kampers.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be there!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be there in spirit...and will certainly raise a glass your way. I plan to be on the opposite coast, but will be thinking of you all...and may throw a stitch or two into a kilt as well..

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anna and I will be there, KK. We're looking forward to it!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have something planned for almost every evening of Kamp.

One night is our Kilt Night where we all put on our kilts and go to a pub for dinner, drinks and to share each other's company in a relaxed atmosphere. This years kilt night will have a special guest performance.
    We made a kilt for a young man when he was only 7. Over the past 3 years we have let out the hem and all of the growth pleats. He has not been able to wear his kilt for about 6 months now.
    The other day he and his mom came into the shop "Just to look around". In talking to them I found out this young man, now 10 is quite a talented fiddle player. He was busking down on our waterfront and was noticed by the organizer of the National Buskers Festival. He received a personal invitation to join. As far as I know this is the only time someone has been invited without having to apply and audition.
    I then found out this young man was preparing for a trip to the Canadian Maritimes. It seems that he has also received an invitation to be the youngest performer this year at The Maritime Fiddle Festival. This is Canada's oldest continuously running fiddle festival.
    His Mom is single and money is tight so I have asked him to come to our Kilt Night and perform. In exchange we will make a new replacement for the original kilt he has now outgrown.

On one night of Kilt Kamp we continue our tradition of a Movie Night. We always start movie night by playing "The Princes Bride".

One night will be a cook out in the shop's back parking lot. We will haul our grill from the house and "burn some meat".

One night is usually a casual get together at our house. More grilling, more stuff to eat and drink. Perhaps we can get Barb to regal us again with all the funny rock stories. It is unbelievable how funny rocks can be. Or maybe it is just the maple whiskey Barb likes so much.

Of course the highlight of each day of Kamp is not what happens in the evening after the sewing. It is the mornings. Bobbie has been trying out all new German Cinnamon crumble recipes and I have gained two pounds testing them. The kampers drag themselves in after an hour or two of sleep and a shower to be met with fresh coffee, juices, hard boiled eggs and an array of other goodies from Bobbie's kitchen.
    Someone usually manages to go into the sewing room and rouse Harlan and Kevin who are still at their tables, needles still in hand.

Unfortunately by the last night of Kamp many folks are already winding down. Some of the Kampers will have headed off for the airport or ferry terminals. Harlan will probably be still bent over his table. He can't leave a Kamp without finishing at least two kilts.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    Steve and Bobbie, are there any plans to get together the last night of Kamp as well? My husband is coming in that afternoon, and would enjoy getting to meet the Kampers.
    We have lots of events, so I am sure we can conjure up something so your husband can meet the other Kampers!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KiltedKnome For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be missing Bobby's cinnamon crumble! I hope you all have a great week!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    I will be missing Bobby's cinnamon crumble! I hope you all have a great week!
    We will miss you, too!!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    On one night of Kilt Kamp we continue our tradition of a Movie Night. We always start movie night by playing "The Princes Bride".

ROUS is already in my bag!! And I already have Stardust in my bag, too.

Harlan will probably be still bent over his table. He can't leave a Kamp without finishing at least two kilts.
    That is for sure!!
    Last edited by Barb T; 1st August 16 at 05:34 PM.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post: