X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stenhouse, Sept of Clan Bruce, and related by blood.

Hello all,
    One of my family lines is Stenhouse, a Sept of Clan Bruce. I have read they were related by blood. In my research I read of a certain Bruce that was made Baron of the Barony of Stenhouse. Eventually the main one started going by the name of Stenhouse and being called that. I think, but not sure, that is where my Stenhouse line came from. So they are actually Bruces and not Stenhouses. I will probably never know for sure but it is very interesting.
    FB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick quote from Wiki,
    The Scots-English language name Bruce arrived in Scotland with the Normans, from the place name Brix of the Manche département in Normandy, France, meaning "the willowlands". Initially promulgated via the descendants of King Robert I of Scotland (Robert the Bruce) (1274-1329), it has been a Scottish surname since medieval times; it is now a common given name.

So All your ancesters did was to change where they came from!!

Once it became established that people had a surname, it was not unknown, for it to change occationally, for political / or hereditary reasons which is a nightmare for anyone chasing family trees.

For instance the Dukes of Northumberland, The Percy/ Perci Family if you follow the practice of male line Surnames, should be called Smithson, As The male line had died out. But in 1766 Sir Hugh Smithson took / was given the title of Duke of Northumberland, Earl Percy, so the Percy name continues. ( one of Sir Hughs Sons founded the Smithsonian)
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freebooter View Post
    Hello all,
    One of my family lines is Stenhouse, a Sept of Clan Bruce. I have read they were related by blood. In my research I read of a certain Bruce that was made Baron of the Barony of Stenhouse. Eventually the main one started going by the name of Stenhouse and being called that. I think, but not sure, that is where my Stenhouse line came from. So they are actually Bruces and not Stenhouses. I will probably never know for sure but it is very interesting.
    FB
    I believe the use of a "territorial designation" rather than a surname is, or was, fairly standard practice in Scotland. The following is from Wikipedia:

"Recognition of a Territorial Designation may also be granted in Scotland by the Lord Lyon to Scottish armigers who own (or were born in or were associated with) named land, generally outwith a town (i.e. rural). The Lord Lyon advises that for a territorial designation to be recognised, there must be 'ownership of a substantial area of land to which a well-attested name attaches, that is to say, ownership of an “estate”, or farm or, at the very least, a house with policies extending to five acres or thereby'.The Territorial Designation in this case is considered to be an indivisible part of the name, though not necessarily an indicator of ancestral or feudal nobility, though recognition of a territorial designation is usually accorded alongside the grant or matriculation of a Coat of Arms, which confers minor nobility status. A person bearing a Scottish territorial designation is either a Baron, Chief or Chieftain or a Laird, the latter denoting 'landowner', or is a descendant of one of the same.The Lord Lyon is the ultimate arbiter as to determining entitlement to a territorial designation, and his right of discretion in recognising these, and their status as a name, dignity or title, has been confirmed in the Scottish courts.

According to Debrett's and other references, a John Smith of Abercrombie is addressed as simply Abercrombie. If he is a clan chief, he may be addressed by either the place-name or the surname of his clan."

The Bruces of Stenhouse retained their surname but, like Mr Smith of Abercrombie in the example above, would have been referred to by their territorial designation, Stenhouse.

This is a list of the Stenhouse Baronets:
    Sir William Bruce, 1st Baronet (died 1630)
    Sir William Bruce, 2nd Baronet (1621–c. 1660)
    Sir William Bruce, 3rd Baronet (died 1682)
    Sir William Bruce, 4th Baronet (died 1721)
    Sir Robert Bruce, 5th Baronet (died c. 1760)
    Sir Michael Bruce, 6th Baronet (died 1795)
    Sir Michael Bruce, 7th Baronet (died 1827)
    Sir Michael Bruce, 8th Baronet (1797–1862)
    Sir William Cunningham Bruce, 9th Baronet (1825–1906)
    Sir William Waller Bruce, 10th Baronet (1856–1912)
    Sir Michael Bruce, 11th Baronet (1874–1957)
    Sir (Francis) Michael Ian Bruce, 12th Baronet (born 1926)[1][2]
    The heir apparent to the baronetcy is Michael Ian Richard Bruce of Stenhouse, the younger (born 1950), eldest son of the 12th

The 12th Baronet lives in the US. This is his entry in the Peerage:
    http://www.thepeerage.com/p18509.htm

Sir Francis Michael Ian Bruce of Stenhouse, 12th Bt

Sir Francis Michael Ian Bruce of Stenhouse, 12th Bt. was born on 3 April 1926.2 He is the son of Sir Michael William Selby Bruce of Stenhouse, 11th Bt. and Doreen Dalziel Greenwell. He married, firstly, Barbara Stevens Lynch, daughter of Francis J. Lynch, on 21 August 1947.2 He and Barbara Stevens Lynch were divorced in 1957.2 He married, secondly, Frances Keegan in 1961.2 He and Frances Keegan were divorced in 1963.2 He married, thirdly, Marilyn Ann Mulally, daughter of Carter Mulally, in 1966.2 He and Marilyn Ann Mulally were divorced in 1975.2 He married, fourthly, Patricia Gail Root, daughter of Frederich Root, in 1991. He and Patricia Gail Root were divorced before 1994.2 He married, fifthly, Alessandra Conforto in 1994.2
    Sir Francis Michael Ian Bruce of Stenhouse, 12th Bt. usually went by his middle name of Michael.2 He was educated at Forman School, Litchfield, Connecticut, U.S.A.2 He fought in the Second World War, in the U.S. Marine amphibious forces.2 He was a partner of Gossard-Bruce Company in 1953.2 He was owner of the American Maritime Company, and The Eye Witness (a legal photograph service) in 1956.2 He succeeded to the title of 12th Baronet Bruce, of Stenhouse [N.S., 1628] on 20 May 1957.1 He was registered as a Master Mariner in 1968.2 He lived in 2003 at 34 Cormorant Circle, Newport Beach, California, U.S.A.2
    Children of Sir Francis Michael Ian Bruce of Stenhouse, 12th Bt. and Barbara Stevens Lynch

Michael Ian Richard Bruce of Stenhouse, younger b. 10 Dec 1950
    Robert Dudley Bruce b. 1 Aug 1952
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 1st July 16 at 07:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bruce Scott so much. Yep, Ive always heard we were related to the Bruces by blood. My great grandmother was a Stenhouse. He mother wad a Barclay. Here is my gg grandfather Eben Stenhouse who came to SC from Scotland in 1845 I think. This right after he got here. Note his long hair pulled back behind his head n over his shoulder.
    Last edited by Freebooter; 1st July 16 at 09:18 PM.