X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb website Burnetts and Struth website Kilt Society website
The Scottish Trading Company Xmarks advertising information MacGregor and MacDuff Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wore a dirk Sunday, as it happens, as part of the Black Watch WWII uniform I wore when piping at Fort MacArthur.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first white settlers on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two dirks that I wear rarely, so rarely in fact that I had forgotten which case they were in and when I went looking for one this year on Tartan Day I could not find them in time. I only wanted to wear one as I was adapting a work uniform and felt the dirk would be a nice touch.

I don't get out to many formal events and the last one was in a sadly steel free zone.

Because my dirks are really more ornamental than useful, and because of the time period that they are representative from, they do not even get much use at Ren Faires. For those days I carry something much more modern and fantasy looking.

So if you want a dirk, I encourage you to get one, but understand that the number of times it will be worn will probably be somewhat less than you think. Still nice to have though.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to AFS1970 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much information?

Seems we Scots are seldom at a loss for an opinion on virtually everything!

Now that you have seen a mind-numbing range of information on your query, consider getting the following paperback as a really useful guide for just about everything having to do with Scots dress protocols: So You're Going to Wear the Kilt, J. Charles Thompson, Heraldic Art, Arlington, VA. The first edtion was in 1979; I have the third edition, 1989, and I recommend you get the latest edition available.

I use this book to advise many folks at events and gatherings, and also to settle arguments! There's a wealth of info in it, and easy to read.

Best of luck!
    Robert B. More, FSA Scot
    High Commissioner, NW United States
    Clan Muir Society

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234