X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scots Gaelic final "r"

I am wondering...I have no formal training in gaelic and have for several years been relying on this website (http://www.learngaelic.net/) for pronunciation and cadence, etc..

But I am confused about words ending in "r"...such as "fear" or "seanair"or "athair". The person doing the audio clips invariably pronounces the final "r" as a "d" or soft "t". So that "fear" as in "fear a bhata "becomes "fet". Athair becomes "ahed". Seanair becomes "she-ned".

Yet, I hear so many gaelic speakers (in songs mainly) pronounce the "r" as an "r." "Fear a vata", "ahair", etc..

Which is it? Which is proper, which is common?
    Last edited by DWFII; 8th July 16 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling and clarity
    DWFII--Traditionalist and Auld Crabbit
    In the Highlands of Central Oregon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just variations in accent - you also get "th" for a final "r". All are "correct". I'm not sure that I could tie down the variations to particular localities. Skye folk say the Lewis accent is awful and Mull folk say the Skye accent is awful and ...
    Alan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    Just variations in accent - you also get "th" for a final "r". All are "correct". I'm not sure that I could tie down the variations to particular localities. Skye folk say the Lewis accent is awful and Mull folk say the Skye accent is awful and ...
    Alan
    Thank you...I figured it would be something like that. Any idea how would a Highland accent handle the final "r"?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DWFII View Post
    Thank you...I figured it would be something like that. Any idea how would a Highland accent handle the final "r"?
    Frankly there are so few native speakers on the mainland that an opinion would be difficult.
    Alan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For all it's worth DWFII, my Gaelic teacher does the same thing. She was from Barra and the final 'r' is closer to the 'th' sound of 'the' than an English sounding 'r'. The farther up the island chain you go, the more the final 'r' sounds like the English 'r' so be ready for any AND all the above. And to really throw a spanner into the works, sometimes you'll even hear something like 'sh' in the final position too. The only advise is to voice each word with all the different sounds you know of. That way you'll be ready for it the next time you hear it.

Slàinte,

Jon
    Only 9 notes. How hard could it be?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes my old teacher would pronounce muir as 'mooth' more or less.

When you say "approaches English 'r'" that opens a can of worms.

I'm assuming you mean the flapped 'r' of some dialects rather than the retroflex 'r' of American English. I'm told that a retroflex 'r' is quite rare in the languages of the world.

When you say that fear becomes "fet" I'm guessing what you're hearing is a final flapped 'r'.

The final 'r' becoming "th" is a slender 'r' thing, no? Or would it affect broad and slender?
    Last edited by OC Richard; 24th July 16 at 05:13 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes my old teacher would pronounce muir as 'mooth' more or less.

When you say "approaches English 'r'" that opens a can of worms.

I'm assuming you mean the flapped 'r' of some dialects rather than the retroflex 'r' of American English. I'm told that a retroflex 'r' is quite rare in the languages of the world.

When you say that fear becomes "fet" I'm guessing what you're hearing is a final flapped 'r'.

The final 'r' becoming "th" is a slender 'r' thing, no? Or would it affect broad and slender?
    Well, I'm not a Gaelic speaker nor have I taken any formal lessons. But here is the one source on the 'Net that I rely on. This link brings you to the dictionary (there's also online lessons, even a thesaurus) with audio.

I've linked to a "look-up" for seanair (grandfather...I have a new grand-daughter--Fionaghal) and the native Gaelic speaker pronounces it with a distinct "d" sound--"sheh-ned". Fear...as in "fear an taighe"...is pronounced "fedt, and even the "r" in feileadh-mor is pronounced with a "d" sound. " Similarly athair, brathair and many others.

On the dictionary site, I actually haven't run across any word ending in "r" that wasn't pronounced with a "d" or "dt" sound.

It's confusing and maybe unique. I don't think I've run across any Irish Gaelic that transforms the "r" so completely, either.
    Last edited by DWFII; 24th July 16 at 05:38 PM.