X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unhappy choice

Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how things were in Steve's Marine Corp back in the day, but in the Army informed Grunts dispensed with undies. Go 30 days without a shower, or spend days waist deep in swamps and you'll understand why. I was fortunate enough in Basic Combat Training to have as a Drill Sergeant a man who had served entirely through WW2, Korea, Dominican Republic, and two tours in Viet Nam. He taught us a lot that wasn't in the book. One of his tips was get rid of the underwear at first chance. I even went without socks. Much of his reasoning makes sense in civilian life, and there's nothing titillating about. My first day in the oilfield it was 106 degrees and I was soaked in salt water. After that I "traveled light" until winter. Kilting regimental is more comfortable than not, just as kilting is more comfortable than wearing jeans. To everything there is a season, or something like that.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original reason for dispensing with nether garments was to minimise laundry - trying to dry clothes round the camp fire on a cold winter's night was no fun. These difficulties did not apply for officers (who had tartan undertrews and more sophisticated laundry facilities) or for private soldiers when not on active service.

Incidentally, in relation to Steve's comment about Canadian practice, I came across this Hudsons Bay Company advertisement in the Winnipeg Free Press of 30th November 1919
    "MEN'S GREY RIBBED WOOL KILT DRAWERS for soldiers' wear. Pure and of good weight. Formerly 51.50."

(Maybe this thread should really be in the new Military Kilt Forum?)

Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 23rd July 16 at 02:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post

(Maybe this thread should really be in the new Military Kilt Forum?)

Alan
    It's your thread, Alan. Shall we move it for you?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    It's your thread, Alan. Shall we move it for you?
    Yes, I guess so, Bill.
    Thank you.
    Alan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving to the new "Military History & Heritage Subforum" - first one! I'll leave a five-day re-direct for those who are looking for it.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 23rd July 16 at 06:54 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to beat a dead horse as I know this is something that has been discussed time and time again here, but I was not active here for close to a decade. I found another interesting advertisement in an old thread (http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...rs-ebay-75780/) reading:

KILT DRAWERS. If worn, those made from tartan are most suitable for day time. (emphasis added).

Now it could be that, as mentioned previously, they were dispensed with for reasons of convenience (difficulty in laundering, lice, etc.) or perhaps it was optional or entirely at the discretion of the CO of any given unit. I guess it really does not matter and is an academic matter at this point.
    James

Templeton sept of Clan Boyd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that that was a 1930s civilian catalogue and we are now in the Military History and Heritage Subforum.
    As you say, the matter has been well covered, most recently in
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...0s-rare-89603/
    (The Corbis images link is now
    http://www.gettyimages.de/pictures/b...hoto-515999180
    )
    Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 23rd July 16 at 12:25 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123