X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casual utility kilt wear - socks high or scrunched?

I got a contemporary cotton utility kilt. I want to wear it casually as like someone would wear jeans.

Does this mean I should scrunch my socks down instead of have them up high as in the photo?

(This one is too small for me, and I am exchanging it for a larger one which I should have on Thursday. Photo taken by my 6-year-old daughter.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor View Post
    I got a contemporary cotton utility kilt. I want to wear it casually as like someone would wear jeans.

Does this mean I should scrunch my socks down instead of have them up high as in the photo?

(This one is too small for me, and I am exchanging it for a larger one which I should have on Thursday. Photo taken by my 6-year-old daughter.)

There's no hard fast rule, having said that, if I were wearing loafers or the like I would advocate pulled up. If I were wearing boots (my favorite are Blundstones) I scrunch them down
    The leather and hemp Kilt Guy in Stratford, Ontario

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Canuck For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all of my boots are synthetic, but the shoes that I have on are like this:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boots

I wear Doc Martens with mine (boots0 Socks Scrunched) when I wear Brogues Socks up.Whatever though really is how you want to wear them.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor View Post
    That's the stickler-- people wear jeans in a wide range of styles, from construction worksite to "smart casual" dining out.

In my opinion, it depends on which end of the casual spectrum you are going for. I'd say, on the neat and tidy end of casual, like this photo with a polo shirt and those shoes, wear them pulled up as you have them. Scrunch them down with the combat boots and sleeveless "muscle shirt".

I personally always wear mine pulled up, even with hiking boots and a sleeveless shirt. But that's just me.

There is plenty of opinion to go around on traditional kilt wearing, but utility kilts are an open topic with little history to constrain them. Try it both ways and see how you like it. Your own confidence will outweigh anyone's expectations.

Also, for what it's worth, I have a grey Stumptown kilt which I often wear with a black or dark blue polo shirt, socks pulled up, similar shoes, and the same haircut so I think your taste is excellent!!
    Last edited by Grunthos; 19th July 16 at 01:42 PM. Reason: i dress the same

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Grunthos For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I wear my boots and a kilt, I scrunch my socks down. I only wear white cotton socks with my work boots.

I'd wear (appropriate for weather conditions) colored hose for casual wear or any occasion where better attire is appropriate and they would be pulled up. Here is the same kilt is a different setting.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 19th July 16 at 01:56 PM. Reason: picture to clarify idea

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will probably keep them pulled up as that is what I would naturally do.

I almost got a brown Stumptown. My hesitation is that I am right between sizes, and I was concerned about having the long row of snaps where I am only using the first or last one. It would be nice if I were on the middle snap so I could go up or down as needed.

This is a Kiltman Pubkilt in color Moss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never been a fan of scrunched. I wear a t-shirt and vans with no socks if im goin greally casual...
    The scrunched sock with workboot or doc marten is pretty common, either way you will be fine, jsut be comfy...

and i agree with Grunthos, definitely UP if on the more "dressy" end of the casual spectrum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wear mine pulled up. but then me being cheap they are just a pair of white tube socks. if you want a little color dye the sock with rit dye. that way you're not wearing your kilt hose with a casual kilt and it isn't white hose, which detracts from the kilt in my humble opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I approach the question from a bit of a different angle. To me, it depends on how the utility kilt fits.

I suggest that showing some leg makes any kilt look better by emphasizing the lack of bifurcation. A traditional tartan kilt hem, for example, ideally hits mid to top of the knee, which allows traditional kilt hose to be worn up and still show some skin.

Many utility kilts, however, seem to be worn with a longer hem at mid to bottom of the knee. With the knee covered and socks pulled up (don't have to be trad hose here!), it looks a bit too "modest," if that makes any sense. If one can't show some knee, then scrunch or roll the socks to show some shin... Or just wear shorter socks
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CMcG For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast