X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Benning Boy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilts 4 less bargain

Today a new kilt arrived from Kilts4Less of Greenock, Scotland. I placed the order on the 14th that's a week and a day from order to delivery. It took two days to get from Dear Old Scotia to Kansas. That's almost lightning fast. I've bought a few fly fishing reels from England recently and they've taken over two weeks to get here.

I mentioned K4L kilts in a thread in the T tartan Place a few days ago. The kilt is an 8-yarder of 16-ounce wool. It's machine sewn with the stitching under the pleats. There is a light taffeta lining, but no hair canvas or waistband as would be put into a true tailor made kilt, like you might get from Barbara or Bonnie Heather.

My new kilt is in Dalrymple tartan. You may recall I had Martin Mills weave 14 meters of Dalrymple a while back. I've been struggling with weight and haven't wanted to cut into the bespoke weave until I can stabilize. However, for an upcoming event my wife wants me in family tartan. So, buying the new kilt will take care of that for now.

I made my usual mistake. I ordered the kilt in my true wast size. That means it only fits when buckled tight. I should have ordered it about three inches smaller, which would allow one to buckle tighter when losing weight. The way the new kilt is made moving straps and buckles will be difficult.

At today's exchange rate the price for the kilt is $365. But, the kilt is wool, and I can't find any comparable US made kilts for the money. So, I think it's a good deal. K4L has some cool tartans to chose from, like black shadow. If you haven't seen black shadow you're truly missing something. During this hot weather I'm wearing modern TDKs, Elkommando, and USA casuals. Maybe toward cold weather I'll order a wool black shadow.

The wife is away until the weekend. I'll try to get a few pics then.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Am Glad For Your Good Fortune

...but, staying clearly away from any political issues, is the reverse side of the coin. I have a dear friend who is a handicapped OAP in the UK and other close friends as well, and when things dramatically change with exchange rates it hits them hard. I am glad for your good fortune, I just mention this is a true spirit of charity that is well to remember those for whom these times place challenges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanachie View Post
    ...but, staying clearly away from any political issues, is the reverse side of the coin. I have a dear friend who is a handicapped OAP in the UK and other close friends as well, and when things dramatically change with exchange rates it hits them hard. I am glad for your good fortune, I just mention this is a true spirit of charity that is well to remember those for whom these times place challenges.
    Maybe I'm thick, but I don't understand.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Only Point...

Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    Maybe I'm thick, but I don't understand.
    Sorry if I was not clear, and it is not directed at you personally, but Sterling has taken a dive against the dollar. So for some things Americans are getting a better price because of the currency fluctuation. It is grand that it benefited you in a nice cost savings and I am happy for you. I was just gently (and charitably) remembering that it works the opposite for some folks when their incomes do not go as far and life is harder. Again, not in any way knocking you or your post. I just try to remember others, when times are tumultuous, and bear their burdens in mind. Enjoy your kilt in good health.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no reason to feel guilty about taking advantage of a good deal. I'm old enough to remember when the exchange rate was 1£ to $5. It benefited folks in the UK buying US goods, but it made me feel financially disabled.

Take advantage of good kilt deals wherever you find them Yankee Doodle kilters.

8. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Benning Boy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought one of these kilts, I had never heard of that Tartan but it's not a bad kilt!
    Kilted Technician!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
    I see no reason to feel guilty about taking advantage of a good deal. I'm old enough to remember when the exchange rate was 1£ to $5. It benefited folks in the UK buying US goods, but it made me feel financially disabled.

Take advantage of good kilt deals wherever you find them Yankee Doodle kilters.
    I nearly posted something similar last night, not sure what to take away from the previous posts, should the OP have paid more regardless of exchange rates? The exchange rate is still $1.30:1 or so.

Think of those poor Vietnamese folks buying a kilt made in the UK, a £279 (on sale) 8-yard bespoke kilt from kilts 4 less would set them back 8,189,010.29 Vietnamese Dong. That's a lot of coin for a kilt even with the current exchange rate, yet I hear no outcry for the Vietnamese.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrainReaper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered from them before and they do have nice stuff for the price. I ordered my heavy wool Glasgow Rangers kilt from them on a Friday and recieved it on the next Tuesday. My only complaint is it looks like they just balled it up and shoved it into a bag and sent it on its way. It was totally wrinkled and at the time I had no idea how to iron them out. But I'm still happy with them in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UK exports are cheap just now because of the weakness of Sterling. That's good for people paying in other currencies and good for the UK companies exporting the goods.
    Enjoy your new kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardboiled View Post
    I ordered from them before and they do have nice stuff for the price. I ordered my heavy wool Glasgow Rangers kilt from them on a Friday and recieved it on the next Tuesday. My only complaint is it looks like they just balled it up and shoved it into a bag and sent it on its way. It was totally wrinkled and at the time I had no idea how to iron them out. But I'm still happy with them in the end.
    I had a similar shipping experience with them - both the fast shipping and the "squished packaging." I hung the kilt and the wrinkles fell out pretty quickly.

Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast